This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2013 6:08 AM by HamidHelal RSS

a quick clear_block(no_validate) question

789736 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi guys,

As the title suggest, I have a quick question about clear_block(no_validate). Basically I have a master detail relationship and when I am on the detail block (which is on a seperate canvas than the master block) I have a cancel button which basically does clear_block(no_validate) and then navigates the user back to the master block. My question is that if the user now saves something on the master block will the information in the detail block be wiped clean? ie if the detail block contained information and when I navigated to it i decided I didnt want to make any changes to that information so I hit cancel which does clear_block(no_validate) will the whole detail block be wiped clean and null values saved to the database if the user saves on the master block?

Thanks for any help I may get.
  • 1. Re: a quick clear_block(no_validate) question
    HamidHelal Guru
    NO_VALIDATE: Oracle Forms flushes the current block without validating the changes, 
    committing the changes, or prompting the end user. 

NO_COMMIT: Oracle Forms validates the changes and flushes the current block 
    without performing a commit or prompting the end user.
    Hope it's clear to you

Hamid

If someone's response is helpful or correct, please mark it accordingly.

Edited by: HamidHelal on Jan 25, 2013 7:15 PM
  • 2. Re: a quick clear_block(no_validate) question
    789736 Explorer
    Thanks for the response, I appreciate it, and hopefully this next question wont sound stupid, though it probably is a stupid question lol. Ok so I have just pressed cancel on my detail block which has: flushed the detail block without validating the changes, committing the changes, or prompting the end user. I then go to my master block and make changes and save them. Since my detail block has been flushed and all data cleared when I commit my changes from my master block am I committing the cleared down values (ie, null values) from the detail block?

Thanks again.
  • 3. Re: a quick clear_block(no_validate) question
    HamidHelal Guru
    786733 wrote:
    Thanks for the response, I appreciate it, and hopefully this next question wont sound stupid, though it probably is a stupid question lol. Ok so I have just pressed cancel on my detail block which has: flushed the detail block without validating the changes, committing the changes, or prompting the end user. I then go to my master block and make changes and save them. Since my detail block has been flushed and all data cleared when I commit my changes from my master block am I committing the cleared down values (ie, null values) from the detail block?

Thanks again.
    Hi,
    Straight Answer
    When you clear any block with
    clear_block(no_validate);
    Nothing will save or commit on that block for the corresponding master record. Any change on master will save if you not clear the master record as well.

Hope it's clear..

Hamid

Mark correct/helpful to help others to get right answer(s).*

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points