This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 11:25 AM by lrp1 RSS

OEM vs Ops Manager

pans_soul Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am interested in installing Ops Manager but need some advice.
We have a current OEM Version     12.1.0.2.0 installed and running in a zone on a T5240 which is also hosting an IPS local repository, and Automated installer.

I'm unclear on whether Ops Manager is simply an extension of the current OEM or if it is a completely separate entity. If it is connected and/or dependent on the initial OEM installation then I would obviously be installing it on the same zone as the current installation. In this case I am a little concerned with system resources as the current box can sometimes have some pretty high resource consumption.

If it is completely separate then I can install it in a separate zone on the same server or possibly even a different server depending again on resource usage.

Anyone have any advice? Further questions?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: OEM vs Ops Manager
    HD-Geek Newbie
    i have had been through several iterations of Ops Center in the past few years.
    OpsCenter EC is happier on x86 solaris - tried on SPARC poor performance. tried in x86 vm poor performance.

My current installation is on x86 hardware (sun and hp) running x86 solaris for all EC and Proxies.
    we manage ~600 assests - solaris, x86 solaris and RHEL5 - physical and vms in three datacenters.

One Enterprise Controller and 5 proxy servers are handling our enterprise.
    Each proxy can handle approx. 200 assests. This newest version does a good job of balancing the number of assests on the three proxyies i have at our main data center. the other data centers are smaller and one proxy at each location is performing well.

I still wrestle with connectivity across firewalls. I just manually add agents to servers on our DMZ.
  • 2. Re: OEM vs Ops Manager
    opsuser Newbie
    My current installation is on x86 hardware (sun and hp) running x86 solaris for all EC and Proxies.
    we manage ~600 assests - solaris, x86 solaris and RHEL5 - physical and vms in three datacenters.
    Interesting,
    what HW is the Enterprise Controller running on and how much RAM has it?

/
  • 3. Re: OEM vs Ops Manager
    lrp1 Newbie
    HD-Geek wrote:
    Each proxy can handle approx. 200 assests. This newest version does a good job of balancing the number of assests on the three proxyies i have at our main data center. the other data centers are smaller and one proxy at each location is performing well.
    A follow-on related question to the OPs's original (not sure if this counts as hi-jacking, as I'd also love to know the difference between the two products):

Did you have ops centre AND OEM agents on all your host targets? Is that required if you're adding in the Ops Centre plugin to OEM?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points