This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2013 3:09 AM by SH RSS

FDM load file with zeros is clearing data outside range in load file - HELP

904448 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi folks,

I am thoroughly stumped with this problem:

The client has a manual process whereby they clear balance sheet base accounts in hfm as follows: Acc: {BalanceSheet.[Base]} Ent: {[Base]} before using the batch loader to load data into hfm. Only a specific accounts hierarchy is posted via FDM and then the client has dataforms which they use to update data into other account hierarchies. The data load file only imports data to accounts under the hierarchy beginning 07AH...(BalanceSheet Base accounts only) whereas the user updates all other accounts (schedules) in hfm using dataforms manually. Historically they have had to do a Accts:BalanceSheet.Base & Ent:Base clear data in hfm before doing an fdm batch load using Replace Merge...don't ask why it's incredibly complicated and comes down to poor design.

Here is my problem. I am trying to automate having to do the clear data process each time by posting a zero value data file to the exact same location as the normal data file first, but unfortunately it is having the effect of clearing data that is not on the data load file...so all accounts and schedules are being cleared by a RM (a@Loc@Scen@Year - Period.RM.txt) file that only contains data that maps to 07AH...accs.

Sorry very complicated...but if you do a data clear then run in the load file, the schedule accts (all accts except 07AH...) remain as before load and therefore only ipdates the 07AH... accs. But if you run zero value file with just accts beginning 07AH... it clears all accounts even those not in the data file. This is weird as it is not doing what it says in the documentation under Merge.

Please help ASAP

Desparate Senelstun
PS. I have check NZP is set in amount at
  • 1. Re: FDM load file with zeros is clearing data outside range in load file - HELP
    JeffJon Guru
    Can you run the batch only up to export and take the .dat file generated by FDM and manually load it to HFM using "MERGE" and see if the same behavior is occuring?

FDM should be just loading the data as a merge in the same manner HFM would load it if you loaded using "load data" in the HFM Win32 client or the web.
  • 2. Re: FDM load file with zeros is clearing data outside range in load file - HELP
    SH Guru
    You are right, it does sound like poor design. An alternative approach would be to use data protection and just load in Replace mode. In the Integration Settings set the data protection string to 07AH and the data protection value to <>. Assuming that 07AH doesn't exist as a string in any other base member names (in all dimensions) except the accounts you want to clear this will work. Much better than loading needless zero values IMHO.
  • 3. Re: FDM load file with zeros is clearing data outside range in load file - HELP
    904448 Newbie
    When I do this the correct outcome is achieved...I have tried using data protection with Protection value = [None] and Protection operator = "<>" as all the schedule entries input via data forms use Custom 3 & 4 options other than [None] (i.e. if all [None] intersections are cleared = problem solved)

When I run a batch upload I get...
    ** Begin HFM Adapter Runtime Error Log Entry [2013-01-26-12:15:35] **
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    ERROR:
    Code............ 5
    Description..... Invalid procedure call or argument
    Procedure....... clsHPDataManipulation.fDBAppendArrayToFile
    Component....... upsFM9xG4A
    Version......... 200
    Thread.......... 4896

IDENTIFICATION:
    User............ CtrlSenelstun
    Computer Name... MCSA-HFBA4

FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT CONNECTION:
    App Name........ HYPSTAT
    Cluster Name.... HYPTST
    Domain….........
    Connect Status.... Connection Open
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Any thoughts?

Cheers

Rob
  • 4. Re: FDM load file with zeros is clearing data outside range in load file - HELP
    904448 Newbie
    Hi folks,

I am so embarrassed! I inadvertently mentioned the problem in the body of my original post...instead of a@Loc@Scen@Mmm - YYYY@RM.txt I had .RM.txt. When the adapter Load script did not find a suitable delimiter to get the Replace Merge instruction it defaulted to Replace Replace. I have sorted the problem and now HFM is doing a Merge as it says on the box.

Thanks for you support. Any help with the data protection issue will be appreciated.

Rob
  • 5. Re: FDM load file with zeros is clearing data outside range in load file - HELP
    SH Guru
    Not sure [None] is the best choice of protection value as it will also be present in your custom1 and custom2 dimension intersections. You should really choose a value unique across all dimensions

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points