This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2013 10:42 PM by 987273 RSS

Where are APEX images retrieved from in an n-tiered environmen?

tx103108 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Oracle XE DB 11gR2
Oracle APEX 4.1.1
Glassfish 3.1.2
Red Hat Linux 5.8
===========

I notice when using Glassfish as part of my APEX environment I am required to copy the images to an /i directory on the Glassfish server under the Glassfish domain.
The question arises --> When APEX needs to render an image, is the image retrieved from the database/database server or from the Glassfish web server?

Thank you.
  • 1. Re: Where are APEX images retrieved from in an n-tiered environmen?
    fac586 Guru
    >

Please update your forum profile with a real handle instead of "user601798".
    Oracle XE DB 11gR2
    Oracle APEX 4.1.1
    Glassfish 3.1.2
    Red Hat Linux 5.8
    ===========

I notice when using Glassfish as part of my APEX environment I am required to copy the images to an /i directory on the Glassfish server under the Glassfish domain.
    The question arises --> When APEX needs to render an image, is the image retrieved from the database/database server or from the Glassfish web server?
    The answer (as usual) is "It depends".

If you're using Glassfish and the APEX Listener (or OHS) then images referenced using <tt>/i/</tt> / <tt>#IMAGE_PREFIX#</tt> are stored on and retrieved from the web server file system. If using EPG then they're stored on and retrieved from the database using the XMLDB repository.

If the image is referenced using <tt>#WORKSPACE_IMAGES#</tt>, <tt>#APP_IMAGES#</tt>, or declarative BLOBs then they're stored on and retrieved from the database.
  • 2. Re: Where are APEX images retrieved from in an n-tiered environmen?
    tx103108 Newbie
    I'll work on mu profile in a moment. :-)
    Is there a performance gain from retrieving the images from the Glassfish web server filesystem?
    Thank you.
  • 3. Re: Where are APEX images retrieved from in an n-tiered environmen?
    fac586 Guru
    user601798 wrote:
    I'll work on mu profile in a moment. :-)
    Is there a performance gain from retrieving the images from the Glassfish web server filesystem?
    Generally, yes. You'd also want to look at effective use of caching. I don't use Glassfish so can't comment on the specifics there.
  • 4. Re: Where are APEX images retrieved from in an n-tiered environmen?
    987273 Newbie
    Hi,

good day! this is an OT message.

But i would like to ask if who among you who can deliver or conduct an Oracle Application Express Training.
    Since we are looking an outsource / Part time Trainer.

If you can deliver or conduct this kind of training,please let know.
    Or if you have someone in your mind which can deliver on this,we would appreciate if you will refer it to us.

You can reach through this email address: idoquila@gmail.com
    Mobile number's : +639 092438249. or +639 351908994.

We appreciate your response on this.

Thanks,
    IVy

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points