This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2013 5:48 PM by 804111 RSS

Lost Developer Toolbar after upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2

804111 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
After upgrading from 4.1 to 4.2.1.00.08, we have lost the Developer Toolbar.

Have others run into this with the upgrade or fresh installation of 4.2.1?

If so, what suggestions are there for fixing, short of reinstallation mentioned in this other thread:

{message:id=10692572}

Following the guidance there to look at the instance ID and other preference settings, I compared our three instances. The two that are not having the problem are both at 4.2.0.00.27.

Here are the preferences that exist on our other instances but are null on the problem instance:
APEX_4_1_0_PATCH_12920544
APEX_4_2_0_PATCH_14777994
APP_EXPORT_TO_DB_ENABLED
HPROF_DIRECTORY
INSTANCE_ID
MOBILE_DEVELOPMENT_ENABLED
PRINT_SVR_HOST
PRINT_SVR_PORT
PRINT_SVR_SCRIPT
I have asked our support team to review the upgrade log. Re-installation from scratch is an option.

Any advice is welcome.

Skip
  • 1. Re: Lost Developer Toolbar after upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Hi Skip,

Is there any chance that the URL you use to login to Application Express is different, somehow, than the URL used to run the application?

I saw an occassion of this recently, where someone said that after they logged into their application, the developer toolbar disappeared. It turns out that they were logging into the APEX instance with a URL with a /pls/htmldb Database Access Descriptor. Then, they would run their application, get redirected to the Login Server, and then get redirected back to the same APEX instance but with a URL with a /pls/apex Database Access Descriptor (both worked).

Joel
  • 2. Re: Lost Developer Toolbar after upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2
    804111 Newbie
    Joel,

Here are the URLS when the login pages are displayed, waiting for credentials:
    http://ah9.appshosting.com:7780/pls/apex/f?p=820:LOGIN:1992242846401:&tz=-8:00

http://ah9.appshosting.com:7780/pls/apex/f?p=4550:1:0::::: 
    And here are the URLs after I have logged into the application and into Application Builder:
    http://ah9.appshosting.com:7780/pls/apex/f?p=820:1:7750850961265:::::

http://ah9.appshosting.com:7780/pls/apex/f?p=4000:1:4545996779723::NO:RP:FB_FLOW_ID,F4000_P1_FLOW,P0_FLOWPAGE,RECENT_PAGES:820,820,820;|,
    Everything has "http://ah9.appshosting.com:7780/pls/apex/f?p=" in common.

Does this answer your question or give you a direction to look?

Skip
  • 3. Re: Lost Developer Toolbar after upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Skip,

This answers my question, thanks. No - it doesn't give me any direction where to look next.

Do all customers of appshosting have this issue?

Joel
  • 4. Re: Lost Developer Toolbar after upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2
    804111 Newbie
    Joel,
    I wouldn't know about other APEX instances. We're an ISV and they host our development. The problem instance was upgraded a week ago, and I just started work on it last night. Discovered the problem today. They haven't responded yet. If there is no way to diagnose what's happening, since it's a dev env, they may want to drop APEX and do a clean install. That might be the only option.
    Skip
  • 5. Re: Lost Developer Toolbar after upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Skip,

I'd be a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on a reinstall until the cause can be determined. My guess is it's highly unlikely to be a software installation problem.

Joel
  • 6. Re: Lost Developer Toolbar after upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2
    804111 Newbie
    Thanks, Joel.

You inspired me to take a closer look, and look beyond the upgrade.

After the upgrade, my application passed a superficial checkout. Later, I exported my application and in the export file, the Instance ID was not NULL. I had not noticed any problems with how APEX was working.

The problems of the missing Developer Toolbar, Instance ID = NULL, and a new one, did not occur until I removed my application and tested a clean installation of the workspace and application. This is the sequence of events. The immediate triggering cause is clearly one of the following:

1. Deinstall application (ID 820) from APEX 4.2.1.00.08 instance, running 11g (11.1.0.7.0).
    2. Remove workspace (PVA_AH9_R12)
    3. (drop the parsing schema, xxpva, and related tablespace)
    4. (create tablespace and schema user, xxpva)
    5. Import workspace (PVA_AH9_R12) from an APEX 4.2.0.00.27 instance.
    6. Import application (ID 820) including supporting objects from an APEX 4.2.0.00.27 instance, running 11g (11.2.0.1.0).

The next day I noticed the Developer Toolbar missing problem, and found that Instance ID is NULL.

Also, after Exporting an application in Database format, I cannot download the file from the Export Repository. When I click the filename link, I get 'Access Denied' instead of the normal download dialog.

Does this suggest anything else I should look into?

Do you think I should post this as a new problem/question with more detail about the sequence of events?

Skip
  • 7. Re: Lost Developer Toolbar after upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2
    jkallman Employee ACE
    Hi Skip,

If you're talking about the header of the application export file, where there is a line like:

-- Instance ID: 69332573836388

I don't believe this would have any bearing on the display of the developer toolbar in your application.

It is disturbing that you get Access Denied when attempting to download your application export (when exporting to Database format). Have you reported these issues to your provider?

Joel
  • 8. Re: Lost Developer Toolbar after upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2
    804111 Newbie
    Problem was caused by upgrade. The wwv_platform_prefs file changed the security_group_id. This led to the problems with the developer toolbar and access denied to files in export repository.

See My Oracle Support patch number 16270085, which fixes the platform prefs table.

Thanks to Joel for sorting this out and fixing it.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points