This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 11:32 PM by 987990 RSS

REcovery issue in standby, Need ur help

DBA2013 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Experts,

I am screwed up by recovery stuff, My standby was off for few days, I thought of doing Rollforwarding which infact in past with some other servers worked perfect as per Oracle document.

Here strange thing is happening, I restored the controlfile from primary, mounted the database, started recovery after registering backup pieces in standby.

It asked me, I need to restore datafile1, In one server, I restored the datafile 1"system file", it then again failed, saying you need older than 27jan datafile.

Here is my seccond standby, here same error, I am shocked to see the same file does exist here, then why it is asking me the same file, Please help me out in this case.

Starting recover at 2013-01-27:22:04:43
released channel: t1
released channel: t2
released channel: t3
released channel: t4
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure of recover command at 01/27/2013 22:04:44
RMAN-06094: datafile 1 must be restored

I could see the same file does exist on both the severs:

Primary : +DATA/onlinep/datafile/system.260.665692293
Standby : +DATA/onlinep/datafile/system.260.665692293                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  • 1. Re: REcovery issue in standby, Need ur help
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director
    Without any real understanding of what happened, why it happened, an extract from the alert log, heck even a version number I'm not giving any advice and it seems others are reluctant to do so too.

Two paths I can suggest:

1. Open an SR with MyOracleSupport.

2. Burn the standby to the ground and create a new one.

3. Post of ton of information here so much so that any of us could, in essence, recreate the issue.
  • 2. Re: REcovery issue in standby, Need ur help
    Simon_DBA Journeyer
    It's also not clear on what you're trying to do? Are you trying to open your standby read-write? In which case it's not in a consistent state. The "datafile 1" needs media recovery is just an indication that the database is not consistent. Query v$recover_file to see the state of each file and what time, SCN their each synced to. then you need to roll forward to make the files all consistent. When they are in v$recover_file you will be able to open it with a resetlogs.

Or are you trying to setup your standby as a standby again? In which case are you starting a managed recovery and did you restore a normal controlfile backup or one made for standby? Then the alert log should indicate any archive logs it can't get from the FAL services. You'll need to restore and possibly copy them over manually (usually restoring them to their original location [maybe from backup] and letting the FAL services copy them will suffice).

Edited by: Simon_DBA on Jan 27, 2013 6:05 PM
  • 3. Re: REcovery issue in standby, Need ur help
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    Query V$DATAFILE on the standby to verify what is the expected file name for datafile 1

Hemant K Chitale
  • 4. Re: REcovery issue in standby, Need ur help
    987990 Newbie
    Hi Hemant,

Please check RECOVER column of datafile 1 in V$DATAFILE_HEADER view. if it shows yes then it requires media recovery.

Please delete this file manually and restore only datafile 1 again from backup than recover it.

and mount the standby database.

Regards,

Sanjay tiwari
    www.DBActivities.com

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points