This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 9:44 PM by f9smsk RSS

RMAN delete obsolete problem

f9smsk Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi there,

(OS=OL 5.5, DB = 11.2 g)
I have a problem with "delete obsolete" command of RMAN which does not delete the obsolete backup of archive logs, but before that please take a look at the configuration and scenario:
CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
Daily Image Copy Backup of database;
daily backup of archivelog all;
daily call of "delete noprompt obsolete".

As I think about, according to described config and actions, all backup of archive logs completed before 7 days must be deleted every day. But I can seen they do are and were not deleted.

calling "delete obsolete" manually does not change the situation as well:
RMAN> delete obsolete;

RMAN retention policy will be applied to the command
RMAN retention policy is set to recovery window of 7 days
allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1
channel ORA_DISK_1: SID=954 device type=DISK
no obsolete backups found

Also there will be shown backups completed before a week ago after issuing the "*RMAN> list backup completed before 'sysdate - 7';*" command.

Can anyone help me, plz.

Thanks,
SMSK.
  • 1. Re: RMAN delete obsolete problem
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    Backups older than the L0 backup that is before and closest to sysdate-7 would be "obsolete". If your L0 backups were, say, 9 days ago and 5 days ago, backups older than the 9 days ago L0 would be obsolete. But the 9 day old L0 and all backups after that would not be obsolete.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 2. Re: RMAN delete obsolete problem
    f9smsk Newbie
    Thanks for the reply,

But the problem is archivelog backups. They are not image copy backups. They were backed up using the non-image copy backup command:
    backup archivelog all;

In other words, the following command returns couple of rows according to the pointed backups:
    RMAN> list backup of archivelog time between 'sysdate - 8' and 'sysdate - 8';

Issuing this command discovered a very strange thing for me. The list that is shown after issuing the command contains backup of archivelogs which their
    NEXT_TIME field is set to 2013-01-20 (8 days ago) but their COMPLETION_TIME is set to a day in the recovery window. What do these fields mean? Is it possible to have backups of archivelogs that they started 8 days ago but were completed yesterday? I'm so confused.

Thanks,
    SMSK.
  • 3. Re: RMAN delete obsolete problem
    EdStevens Guru
    f9smsk wrote:
    Hi there,

(OS=OL 5.5, DB = 11.2 g)
    I have a problem with "delete obsolete" command of RMAN which does not delete the obsolete backup of archive logs, but before that please take a look at the configuration and scenario:
    CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS;
    CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
    Daily Image Copy Backup of database;
    daily backup of archivelog all;
    daily call of "delete noprompt obsolete".

As I think about, according to described config and actions, all backup of archive logs completed before 7 days must be deleted every day. But I can seen they do are and were not deleted.

calling "delete obsolete" manually does not change the situation as well:
    RMAN> delete obsolete;

RMAN retention policy will be applied to the command
    RMAN retention policy is set to recovery window of 7 days
    allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1
    channel ORA_DISK_1: SID=954 device type=DISK
    no obsolete backups found

Also there will be shown backups completed before a week ago after issuing the "*RMAN> list backup completed before 'sysdate - 7';*" command.

Can anyone help me, plz.

Thanks,
    SMSK.
    All backup and recovery must begin with a L0 backup. And all backups of all types that are necessary to enforce the recovery policy must be retained. That means the newest (most recent) L0 backup can never be obsolete, no matter how old it is. And all L1, archivelog, controlfile and spfille backups taken since the most recent L0 backup also must be retained, no matter how old they are.
  • 4. Re: RMAN delete obsolete problem
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    ArchiveLog backups have to be retained (not obsoleted) to match up to the L0 backup that needs to be retained. Oracle is trying to allow you the facility of being able to RESTORE and RECOVER to any point in time in the past 7 days. If the L0 backup was 9 days ago, ArchiveLogs from that point (9 days ago) would still need to be retained.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 5. Re: RMAN delete obsolete problem
    f9smsk Newbie
    Hi Hemant,

Thanks for the answer.

SMSK.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points