This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2013 2:20 PM by Dude! RSS

Oracle Linux 6  hangs when unplugging USB (kernel panic)

854860 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I have this deterministic problem: every time I unplug most USB devices, the OS hangs with a kernel panic message.

I'm on Oracle Linux 6 64bit, kernel *2.6.39-300.26.1.el6uek.x86_64*, yum update says up to date.

It happens even if the drive is unmounted.
It can be triggered either by physically removing the USB cable or just by attempting the Safe Removal option in the Disk Utility.
It happens on WD Digital drives and USB sticks.
Practically once I plugged in any USB, I have to power down the laptop (Dell E5410) in order to avoid this. BTW poweroff does terminate anything running but fails to actually power off, the same goes for reboot.

Any help appreciated. It's a big surprise to see such crude bug on an otherwise stable and dependable OS. I can provide any log files or information that might help.

Best regards,
Paul
  • 1. Re: Oracle Linux 6  hangs when unplugging USB (kernel panic)
    Dude! Guru
    Do you use any external USB hub?
    Is the computer in sleep mode when unplugging the USB device causes the issue?

I suggest to contact the product vendor to see if there is any BIOS firmware upgrades for your computer that addresses the problem. Other than that, your USB subsystem may have a hardware defect. It might be interesting to see if the problem persists using another OS.

Enterprise Linux, such as Oracle Linux, is not designed for Desktop computers and Laptops. It might be a better idea to run a supported OS on your Laptop (Windows) and run Oracle Linux inside a virtual machine using e.g. free Oracle VirtualBox. There are also pre-built developer VM's available: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html
  • 2. Re: Oracle Linux 6  hangs when unplugging USB (kernel panic)
    854860 Newbie
    Thanks.

No, the computer is not in sleep mode (although once it happened thus too).
    I do have dual boot with Windows. The problem never occurs in Windows.
    (now that is some frustration :) )

I am not using any USB hub, but connecting it directly (maybe I should use one?)

Other than this problem which is very annoying, I believe having Linux as host and Windows as a possible guest leaves significantly more flexibility, as you get a high degree of control over how much resources and where you want the computer to use them (from boot freedom and command line grepping/flexible drive mounting etc. up to advanced graphical interface and fancy graphical development in a Windows guest VM).

I've experienced various other Linux OSes for host.
    I use various VMs for pretty much everything, I need to swap and pause them frequently, so I would think OEL is the best platform for Oracle VirtualBox. Which in itself is a bliss too.

Edited by: paul.oprea on 28-Jan-2013 06:47
  • 3. Re: Oracle Linux 6  hangs when unplugging USB (kernel panic)
    Dude! Guru
    Are you using dual-boot or do you run other OS's as virtual machines already? Perhaps somewhere there lies the source of your problem, since you cannot share USB devices among different systems, and only one of the systems can control the device.

VirtualBox and Oracle Linux should work well, but running Oracle Linux directly on unsupported hardware, e.g. Laptop, does not help. I suggest the other way around and install a supported OS for your Laptop, and use Oracle Linux under VirtualBox. If will give you the same control of flexibility and resources.

Btw, OEL is history. The product is called Oracle Linux or simply "OL".
  • 4. Re: Oracle Linux 6  hangs when unplugging USB (kernel panic)
    Avi Miller Guru
    paul.oprea wrote:
    Any help appreciated. It's a big surprise to see such crude bug on an otherwise stable and dependable OS. I can provide any log files or information that might help.
    Do you have Oracle Linux support? If so, please log an SR about this. Otherwise, you can log the bug with full log files at http://bugzilla.oracle.com
  • 5. Re: Oracle Linux 6  hangs when unplugging USB (kernel panic)
    854860 Newbie
    Thank you Avi, we do have a Metalink account but I don't think I have that possibility.
    Are there any options left?
  • 6. Re: Oracle Linux 6  hangs when unplugging USB (kernel panic)
    Avi Miller Guru
    paul.oprea wrote:
    Thank you Avi, we do have a Metalink account but I don't think I have that possibility.
    Metalink is now My Oracle Support, btw.
    Are there any options left?
    http://bugzilla.oracle.com
  • 7. Re: Oracle Linux 6  hangs when unplugging USB (kernel panic)
    854860 Newbie
    I've tried ejecting and unplugging various devices: FAT32, ext2, ext3, NTFS.
    It only happens with NTFS and only with some of them.
    It would look like it might have to do with the ntfs-3g (since NTFS is not supported officially).
  • 8. Re: Oracle Linux 6  hangs when unplugging USB (kernel panic)
    Dude! Guru
    Does the following apply?

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=631187

NTFS-3g is fuse-based and runs in user space as opposed to kernel space. I think this means that it runs in a protected virtual memory space and can be swapped to disk.

Does it make any difference whether or not you unmount the device before ejecting?
    Does it make any difference if you mount the NTFS drive using the "sync" option to bypass the write cache?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points