6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2013 1:25 AM by Richa Juneja RSS

Can anyone explain me the meaning of Minimum File age in FTP Adapter?

Richa Juneja
      I have set Polling frequency as 10 seconds and Minimum File Age as 2 minutes, but my file is getting picked up in first 10 seconds.

But i want it to wait for 2 minutes and then pick the file from FTP location.

Can anybody help in this to understand the meaning of Minimum File age ?
        • 1. Re: Can anyone explain me the meaning of Minimum File age in FTP Adapter?
          Arik
          Hi Richa,

It means that the file poling will start only after 10 min' (for that file).
          There can be few reasons for the poling behavior in your case as I see:
          1.The FtpAdapter properties were not set correctly
          2.Maybe there is a time different between the systems (not sure this is the case. Try to create a file from within the FTP directory)

Arik
          • 2. Re: Can anyone explain me the meaning of Minimum File age in FTP Adapter?
            I have set Polling frequency as 10 seconds
            This means that for every 10 seconds, SOA shold look for files in the specified FTP location .
            and Minimum File Age as 2 minutes
            This means that every time SOA looks for files (in this case every 10 sec) SOA should pick all the files that are atleast 2 Minutes Old. (i.e., the "Current Date Time" - "File Creation Date" >= 2 Minutes).

If your requirement is to look for files for every 2 Minutes then set the Polling Frequency as 2 Minutes.

However, if your requirement is that the file has to be picked two minutes after after you place the file, check the file creation date, after you place it in the FTP directory.

--

Mark the posting appropriately as "Helpful" or "Correct Answer", if your issue is solved.
            • 3. Re: Can anyone explain me the meaning of Minimum File age in FTP Adapter?
              oracledigger
              Here are some interesting links :

http://www.google.fr/search?q=minimum+file+age+ftpadapter&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:fr:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&redir_esc=&ei=Cs4HUeDdMYfB0gWn3IHgDw
              • 4. Re: Can anyone explain me the meaning of Minimum File age in FTP Adapter?
                Richa Juneja
                Thanks for the reply;

but I cannot set polling frequency to 2 minutes as ftp adapter will not listen next file being written for next 2 minutes , thats the reason polling frequency is 10 seconds.

I want my adapter to wait for next 2 mins as my file is taking 1.5 mins to write completely. But i am facing an issue in scenarios in which my file is getting written in 5 seconds and it is getting picked up in 10 seconds only. According to me, it should wait for 2 mins for this too.

e.g. File A of 2 MB requires 1.5 mins to write itself on FTP server completely, it is getting picked up in 2 mins only.
                File B of 8KB required miliseconds to write itself on FTP server completely, it is getting picked up in 10 seconds.... ISSSUE?

Can you explain this issue?
                • 5. Re: Can anyone explain me the meaning of Minimum File age in FTP Adapter?
                  DeepakDabbiru
                  Richa,

As already explained above by another user it means that every time SOA looks for files (in this case every 10 sec) SOA should pick all the files that are atleast 2 Minutes Old. (i.e., the "Current Date Time" - "File Creation Date" >= 2 Minutes).

It has nothing to do with the size of the file, as you mentioned in your example.

e.g. File A of 2 MB requires 1.5 mins to write itself on FTP server completely, it is getting picked up in 2 mins only.
                  File B of 8KB required miliseconds to write itself on FTP server completely, it is getting picked up in 10 seconds.... ISSSUE?

Here the time when File A and File B arrived in the location matters.

Say the same File A and File B are copied into location (say "D:/FilesToBeRead") at 10:20:30 AM, then the poller should pick up both these files at 10:22:30 AM as you had set your minimum file age property to 2mins.

Hope this helps

Thanks,
                  Deepak.