This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 2:26 PM by 987432 RSS

Proper serial connections for Sun Fire v250

987432 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I recently purchased a (gently) used Sun Fire v250 for use as a workstation. The machine had a graphics card installed by a previous owner, but I accidentally reset the factory defaults on the SCC (I was having a boot problem, and apparently a brain problem).

My question is, how do I connect over serial to make the default boot up options 'screen' instead of 'ttya'? I know from the oracle docs that I need a specific type of serial cable, but I'm unsure where exactly I can go about finding this. Also, once I get the cable what software (for *NIX or windows) can I use to reset the SCC?

Thanks,

John Lambert
Dychron, Inc.
  • 1. Re: Proper serial connections for Sun Fire v250
    bigdelboy Pro
    984429 wrote:
    I recently purchased a (gently) used Sun Fire v250 for use as a workstation. The machine had a graphics card installed by a previous owner, but I accidentally reset the factory defaults on the SCC (I was having a boot problem, and apparently a brain problem).

My question is, how do I connect over serial to make the default boot up options 'screen' instead of 'ttya'? I know from the oracle docs that I need a specific type of serial cable, but I'm unsure where exactly I can go about finding this. Also, once I get the cable what software (for *NIX or windows) can I use to reset the SCC?

Thanks,

John Lambert
    Dychron, Inc.
    Search for a cisco console cable .... this is a typically a 9 pin to RJ 45 ... usually less than say $10 on at least well known auction site.

If you laptop/desktop does not have a serial get a usb to serial converter as well.

If you have a linux desk OS then it is possible to connect to a serial connection ... from solaris you would use tip .... from linux typically use 'cu' (built it) ... if I remember correctly.

Or use recent versions of PuTTY from windows. ... which can also be configured for serial.
  • 2. Re: Proper serial connections for Sun Fire v250
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    In addition to that first reply, here's the link to the documentation for your V250:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19088-01/v250.srvr/index.html

You may want to glance at Chapter 3 of the V250 Admin Guide
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19088-01/v250.srvr/817-0900-10/817-0900-10.pdf (PDF)
    for a start with the ALOM port.

But...
    Glancing at your first post...
    If you inadvertantly changed the OBP settings, you could just SSH across your network to a running Solaris, then once you've logged in as your normal user you <tt>su</tt> to root and then use the <tt>eeprom</tt> command to change the output-device back to screen. A reboot of the V250 to set the changes, and you'd be back as before.
  • 3. Re: Proper serial connections for Sun Fire v250
    987432 Newbie
    Thanks! I'll try and round up a cisco console cable and connect that way. It's probably worth mentioning that the system doesn't currently have an operating system (or, at least, one that boots automatically and has SSH) I've monitored my router, and the mac for the sun never shows up.

Thanks, everyone!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points