6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2013 3:29 PM by EdStevens RSS

Failing PATH pre-requisite check installing 11g client

Greetings -

I'm trying to install the 32bit oracle 11g database client on Win 7 Professional x64. I'm stuck with this error when the installer gets to the "Perform Prerequisite Checks" step:

Environment variable: "PATH" - This test checks whether the length of the environment variable "PATH" does not exceed the recommended length.
      Details:
      -      PRVF-3919 : Failed to retrieve value of environment variable "PATH"
      - Cause: Environment variable value could not be determined.
      - Action: Check user equivalence and whether the user has administrative privileges on the node.

Google tells me this might be related to an excessive PATH environment variable length, so I made multiple repetitions of "clean some crap out and try to install again" with no effect. Currently it is set to:
      C:\>path
      PATH=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;

And the installer still fails.

I've tried explicitly running the installer via "Run as Administrator" and as a regular user (who is in the Administrators group). No change either way.

Someone on my team suggested making sure the installation target path has no spaces in it. I'm keeping the default path suggested by the installer, which is
      D:\app\ladams\product\11.2.0\client_1

where ladams is my Windows user name. I did some experimentation here, changing the install path to things like "D:\oracle" and that hasn't resolved the issue.

Interestingly, if I open the installer log, I can find this line in it near the top:
      INFO: PATH has :==>C:\Users\ladams\AppData\Local\Temp\OraInstall2013-01-28_02-19-03PM\jdk\jre\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;;;.

So it can apparently read the path at some point before the pre-requisite check, although it seems to be doubling up the contents for some reason...

Later on in the log file, I see this:
      INFO: -----------------------------------------------
      INFO: *********************************************
      INFO: Environment variable: "PATH": This test checks whether the length of the environment variable "PATH" does not exceed the recommended length.
      INFO: Severity:CRITICAL
      INFO: OverallStatus:OPERATION_FAILED
      INFO: -----------------------------------------------

Is there some way to work around this issue, or just skip the prerequisites check entirely? I found something on a blog via google about being able to pass a "-ignoreSysPrereqs" switch to the installer to bypass the check. When I tried that, the installer still performed it's checks, and failed with the same error, so apparently that was bad info...

Any help would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Failing PATH pre-requisite check installing 11g client
          sb92075
          did you actually Read The Fine Manual below

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24282/toc.htm
          • 2. Re: Failing PATH pre-requisite check installing 11g client
            Thanks for the reply.

I did indeed take a look at the client installation instructions here: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24282/toc.htm#BABGCIFF

However, it appears to be out of date, or at least not applicable to my problem. Step 10 refers to an Ignore All button:

"Note: Oracle recommends that you use caution in checking the Ignore All option. If you check this option, then Oracle Universal Installer may not confirm that your system is able to install Oracle Database successfully."

I don't have an ignore all button. At least if there is, it's cleverly disguised. The only option I have after the check fails is "Cancel."

Is there another section of the fine manual I should take a look at?

Edited by: 984635 on Jan 28, 2013 6:09 PM

Edited by: 984635 on Jan 28, 2013 6:17 PM
            • 3. Re: Failing PATH pre-requisite check installing 11g client
              Helios-GunesEROL
              Hi;

Please review:
              Error Message:PRVF-3929 - PATH environment variable.

PRVF-03919: Failed to retrieve value of environment variable "{0}"
              Cause: Environment variable value could not be determined.
              Action: Check user equivalence and whether the user has administrative privileges on the node.

Regard
              Helios
              • 4. Re: Failing PATH pre-requisite check installing 11g client
                I did already come across that thread...

As I stated in my original post, the installer is failing with a path of

C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;

Which is far from any of the maximum lengths I've heard about.

Also, as you can see from the log fragment I pasted in the original post, the installer is clearly able to read the path at some point before the prerequisite checks, so something is obviously wrong with the check itself.

Is there a way to turn it off or ignore it? Is there an alternate installer available that doesn't have this check? All I really need here are the client drivers and .net provider.
                • 5. Re: Failing PATH pre-requisite check installing 11g client
                  Srini Chavali-Oracle
                  This is unusual - can you pl post the complete contents of the installation log file ? http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24187/ts.htm#i1090466

HTH
                  Srini
                  • 6. Re: Failing PATH pre-requisite check installing 11g client
                    EdStevens
                    I've had this problem recently and was able to solve it by shortening the PATH, as you say you have. While investigating it myself, (google is your friend!) I found where others seem to have solved it by making sure they ran the installer 'as administrator', though I couldn't reproduce that specific behavior.

I mention it just to say the solution may not lie where one would think, and it might pay to google around a bit and not depend solely on this forum. If you have MOS access, you might search there as well.

I agree the installer seems to have a bug at this point, but my distrust of Windows is pretty visceral, so I wouldn't be surprised if the installer is doing the best it can and windows is lying to it at some critical point. If I had to bet on a bug in Oracle vs. a bug in Windows .....