5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 2:38 PM by 987632 RSS

ORA-01017 Error

Hi

I am a part time student / full time systems admin. Ive been working on an oracle assignment using application express and sql plus, verison 11g express.
      Everything was going perfect until this evening when i tried to login as myself (user mcgrath)and i got the message ORA-01017 invalid username and password.
      This account was perfect. I can login to application express with no problem with the same username. I even changed my password in applicatiion express and retried sql plus.
      As i started to work on security i created a new workspace (user college) so i can work on grants and revokes. I can login to sql plus with this account no problem. somewhere along the way i must have blocked myself.
      when i select username,account_status from dba_users it says user mcgrath is open.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Malcolm
        • 1. Re: ORA-01017 Error
          riedelme
          984629 wrote:
          Hi

I am a part time student / full time systems admin. Ive been working on an oracle assignment using application express and sql plus, verison 11g express.
          Everything was going perfect until this evening when i tried to login as myself (user mcgrath)and i got the message ORA-01017 invalid username and password.
          This account was perfect. I can login to application express with no problem with the same username. I even changed my password in applicatiion express and retried sql plus.
          As i started to work on security i created a new workspace (user college) so i can work on grants and revokes. I can login to sql plus with this account no problem. somewhere along the way i must have blocked myself.
          when i select username,account_status from dba_users it says user mcgrath is open.

Any ideas.
          Can you post an exact version number - the value returned from V$VERSION, assuming you have access?

You can log in using Apex but not SQL*PLUS even after changing the password.

Apex users/passwords mirror those in Oracle but do not duplicate them. Changing an Apex password through Apex should have no effect. If you have access to an Apex user with DBA privilege you can change the Oracle password of another account using the SQL tool.

Also, 11g database schema passwords are case senstitive.

If you have access to a DBA account log into it in SQL*PLUS and use it to change the password using ALTER USER whatever IDENTIFIED BY new_password. If you are not security-consious make the password for the name name in Apex and Oracle be the same so you don't have to remember 2 different passwords :)
          • 2. Re: ORA-01017 Error
            P.Forstmann
            Make sure you connect to same database instance (XE) and remember that 11G passwords are by default case sensitive.
            • 3. Re: ORA-01017 Error
              I used select version from V$instance in sqlplus and it returned 11.2.0.2.0.

i can connect by using connect mcgrath /as sysdba
              and use my known password. but i cannot connect as mcgrath/password.

i will try you alter suggestion also.
              • 4. Re: ORA-01017 Error
                Alter user worked... Many thanks

I dont know how i broke it though
                • 5. Re: ORA-01017 Error
                  Back to assignments now .. I appreciate the quick response.