2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 5:32 AM by William Wallace RSS

Multi select a select list without control click

William Wallace
      Hi,

Is there a way I can multi select a select list without control-click? Basically wan't to mouse click to select and unselect (when clicked upon again).

I am using Apex 4.2. Cheers.
        • 1. Re: Multi select a select list without control click
          fac586
          William Wallace wrote:

Is there a way I can multi select a select list without control-click? Basically wan't to mouse click to select and unselect (when clicked upon again).
          The implementation of the standard multi-select control is a browser feature, not something that can be modified in APEX.

Theoretically it would be possible to replace the standard control with an APEX or jQuery plug-in to provide the required behaviour, but it's questionable whether it's worth the effort. Users who are familiar with multi-select lists will expect to use control-clicks.

However, there are a number of usability concerns relating to multi-select lists:

<li>Many users are not familiar with multi-select lists at all.
          <li>If the entire list is not visible it's not clear which options are selected unless the user scrolls through it.
          <li>As you're apparently finding, standard clicks will deselect any existing options. If the previously selected options were not visible when this was done, it's impossible for the user to recover the original selections.

I'd therefore recommend using an alternative representation of the data, such as a shuttle control, or report with checkboxes for selection.
          • 2. Re: Multi select a select list without control click
            William Wallace
            Thanks, some folks in stackoverflow suggested using a "multiple" attribute in the select element, didn't work for me. But I am with you on thats, its just dumb requirement.