5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2013 12:51 AM by Robert Hantink RSS

Partial Refresh from column link

Robert Hantink
      Hello,

I am working on a page with two classic reports.
      Report A is always displayed and has a column link which sets item Z with a value from a column in report A and then redirects the page to itself.
      Report B uses item Z in his where clause and is only shown when Z is filled. This all works fine.

However I want to use Partial Page Refresh to only reload Report B instead of the whole page.
      Because report A is a heavy report it can't and it won't get lighter.
      So my question is how does this partial page refresh stuff work and does it improve preformance?
      I think it would help if Ii don't have to load report A everytime I reload Report B.

I have found this:
      Link
      But it uses a selectlist and I use a hidden item and a column link. The column link does not set session state so it won't work...

Hope someone could help me out.
        • 1. Re: Partial Refresh from column link
          Nicolette
          Robert Hantink

On the column link you have 1 Dynamic action with 2 actions.
          1 Set the hidden value.
          2 Refresh report B

On report B set "Page Items to Submit" to the hidden item.

Nicolette
          • 2. Re: Partial Refresh from column link
            Robert Hantink
            Yes, thank you that was what i was looking for!!!

However two new problems occure... ofcourse :)

1. The title of the region is based on the value of item Z. Now that the session state is not updated and &Z. remains null it show null.
            I guess a refresh of a region does not also refresh it's title.

2. Report B is only shown when item Z is filled. But we use javascript:$S('Z',#column#) tot set is and thus the condition stays false.
            • 3. Re: Partial Refresh from column link
              Nicolette
              Robert Hantink
              Robert Hantink wrote:
              Yes, thank you that was what i was looking for!!!
              2. Report B is only shown when item Z is filled. But we use javascript:$S('Z',#column#) tot set is and thus the condition stays false.
              Report B has to be rendered on page load.
              Play with the show and hide dynamic action to show report B to the user at the appropriate time.

Use CSS to hide the report on page load. Using the hide dynamic action will show the report before the dynamic action is fired. Causing a slight flicker.

As for
              1. The title of the region is based on the value of item Z. Now that the session state is not updated and &Z. remains null it show null.
              You'll need some javascript for that. I have seen a forum post before of someone doing used that. So have a look around

Nicolette
              • 4. Re: Partial Refresh from column link
                Nicolette
                Robert Hantink

I had set up this [url http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=VANBAREN_FORUM_TRY_OUT:SHOWWAIT:0&c=VANBAREN]demo using show and hide dynamic actions.

It was set up to visually simulated a submit dynamic action but doing a partial refresh. And only refresing the report.

It doesn't fit your case 100% but it gives a nice demonstration of what is possible with hide and show dynamic actions.

Nicolette
                • 5. Re: Partial Refresh from column link
                  Robert Hantink
                  Thanks for your help, Nicolette!!! It works like a charm.
                  I will search the forum for that javascript part.