2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2013 11:46 AM by abillconsl RSS

Java...Create, Compile, Run

Hi Everyone...I am having trouble getting started. I would like to know how to create a Java Icon on my Desktop
      that leads to a Java screen showing my Java programs. I have yet to get one Java program to run. Ultimately, I would like to use Java to create graphs. But first I need to know what to download to create my first Java screen. I think the first program would be the one that displays the words "Hello, World". After that, I will have many more questions. Thanks for your help. hamiltoy
        • 1. Re: Java...Create, Compile, Run
          TPD-Opitz
          Welcome to the forum.

Start here: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/getStarted/index.html

bye
          TPD
          • 2. Re: Java...Create, Compile, Run
            abillconsl
            984846 wrote:
            Hi Everyone...I am having trouble getting started. I would like to know how to create a Java Icon on my Desktop
            that leads to a Java screen showing my Java programs. I have yet to get one Java program to run. Ultimately, I would like to use Java to create graphs. But first I need to know what to download to create my first Java screen. I think the first program would be the one that displays the words "Hello, World". After that, I will have many more questions. Thanks for your help. hamiltoy
            You didn't say if you were using a Windows machine, but by using the word Desktop I will guess that you are. You create an icon by right-clicking on the folder you want to create a shortcut to and choosing "create shortcut". Then you name it as you like. And you place the shortcut onto the desktop.

If you check the Java installation you have - or will have - on your machine you will likely find a "demos" folder that contains various GUI applications and applets, one or more of which is a graph demo ... at least the last time I checked.