This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 12:55 AM by Michael dbi RSS

Installing Oracle Linux 5.8

Haider Hussain Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi ,

I wish to remove Win7 (32 bit Home Edition) and install Oracle Linux 5.8 in it.

Configuration of my workstation :

1. 4GB RAM
2. 500 GB HDD
3. Intel Core i5 processor (2.27 GHz * 2).

Could you please tell me how to install the this ? Also, please suggest a good anti-virus for it. Also, is VM required to be installed before installing Oracle Linux ?
I have DVD's of Oracle Linux 5.8

Thanks,
Haider
  • 1. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.8
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Please indicate why you wish to remove the Win 7 OS - you can simply install a Linux VM and have both OS versions. Pl see my blog (linked in my profile) for detailed steps on how to install Virtualbox software, creating a Linux VM and installing Linux 5.8 in the VM

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.8
    Haider Hussain Newbie
    I already have a VM having Oracle Linux installed in my current workstation. However, the systems hangs a lot. This is the reason why I wish to Install Oracle Linux 5.8 after removing Windows 7
  • 3. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.8
    Which system hangs - the VM or Win 7 ? How much memory has been allocated to the VM ? Have you tried to look at the system logs of the OS to determine why it hangs ?

Srini
  • 4. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.8
    Haider Hussain Newbie
    Both when used together. I have allocated 2 GB RAM and 250 GB HDD space to the VM
  • 5. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.8
    Have you looked at the system logs for both OS versions to see why they hang ? I have the same exact setup (Win 7 Home with 4 GB, 2 GB allocated to OEL 5.8) and it runs with no issues

HTH
    Srini
  • 6. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.8
    Dude! Guru
    Before you can install Oracle Linux to run directly on your computer you need to check if it is compatible with your hardware. You cannot assume that it will work by default unless you have a typical server system. VirtualBox is probably your best option unless you have an old obsolete computer.

You do not necessarily need a 64-bit OS host system to run a virtual machine, but make sure you have a x86_64 CPU and install Oracle Linux x86_64 to use Hardware-assisted virtualization (HVM) as opposed to software emulation, which is very slow and probably less reliable. Any 64-bit guest OS also needs to have I/O APIC enabled, which you might want to check.

There is no information in your post to be able to troubleshoot your problem.
  • 7. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.8
    Michael dbi Newbie
    You can also install both operating systems with dual boot. By this way, you can ensure your computer is OK with Oracle Linux before removing Win 7..
  • 8. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.8
    Haider Hussain Newbie
    Could you please let me know how to install Oracle Linux 5.8 as dual boot in Windows 7.
  • 9. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.8
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Haider Hussain wrote:

Oracle Linux is a server distro - not a desktop. Make very sure this is what you want, as it could be missing drivers to support your sound and video chipsets/cards, not support your video cam, etc.

I recommend using Ubuntu as a desktop o/s. It is specifically build for running on, and supporting, desktop and notebook hardware.
    Could you please tell me how to install the this?
    Download an installation DVD ISO image (needs to be bootable). Burn it do DVD. Boot it. Install (and overwrite and reformat the existing Windoes NTFS partitions). So it is totally destructive. No more Windows 7.
    Also, please suggest a good anti-virus for it.
    The likelihood of viruses on a Linux desktop is small. It is more important to practise safe hex. Keep the firewall (called iptables) up. Do not run services that you do not need (like Samba or FTP) and did not harden and secure. Keep the kernel up to date with the latest patches. Be careful of where you surf on the net - and if you surf the fringes, use the browser's incognito feature, wipe the cash afterwards, and be very careful running Javasscript (install something like NoScript) and Flash.

Also, is VM required to be installed before installing Oracle Linux ?
    Not at all.
    I have DVD's of Oracle Linux 5.8
    Bootable? If so, then you are set - with the exception of the issue around desktop h/w support using a server distro. Why not get Ubuntu? It comes with LiveCD. You boot an Ubuntu desktop from CD - can play and use it without trashing Windows first. And if you like and want it, then click the install icon on the Ubuntu desktop.

Oracle XE (free 11g database) is also available for 64bit Ubuntu.
  • 10. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.8
    Dude! Guru
    Could you please tell me how to install the this ? Also, please suggest a good anti-virus for it. Also, is VM required to be installed before installing Oracle Linux?
    Your current feedback or lack of response so far suggests that your technical expertise is rather novice and you are not familiar with either Linux or general OS installation concepts.

Dual boot is really obsolete and running Enterprise Linux on non supported hardware might not be within your current skills. I think that running Oracle Linux in a VM will be your most feasible option, suppose you need to run Oracle Linux for a specific purpose, which you did not mention.

There is no evidence that Oracle Linux will run any better on your system than Windows, or that the problem you are experiencing is software based.
  • 11. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.8
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Dude wrote:

Dual boot is really obsolete
    Not really. You can point a VM to a physical disk or partition.

With dual boot you can boot Windows 7 and ran a Linux VM on the same disk, booting the Linux partition. Or vice versa - boot Linux as host and then Windows as guest.

Have done it often in the past (using VMware), mostly using Linux as host and Windows as guest - and configuring the Windows side with 2 h/w profiles. One for running natively on the machine, and one for running as a VM. When I had to do Win32 development, I swapped the o/s around and booted Windows and ran Linux as VM.

Perhaps not a frequent option today, but one well worth considering as it provides you with the choice as to whether you want to boot a specific o/s as host or guest.
  • 12. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.8
    Michael dbi Newbie
    Haider Hussain wrote:
    Could you please let me know how to install Oracle Linux 5.8 as dual boot in Windows 7.
    You need a separate disk or partition if you want to install another OS with Windows... Once installed, the boot loader will let you select between Windows or Linux to start your computer. But like others said, I don't think install OL on a laptop is a good idea

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points