2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 12:12 PM by jgarry RSS

Original export utility

amitavachatterjee1975
      Hi Gurus,

I need to use original export utility to export a DB from PROD to QA. I have 2 questions.

- how do I exactly specify an export file say miprod.dmp in export commandline
      - I am exporting the DB without data from PROD. In this case do I need to explicitly create all the tablespaces in PROD into QA DB

Thanks
      Amitava.
        • 1. Re: Original export utility
          jgarry
          amitavachatterjee1975 wrote:
          Hi Gurus,

I need to use original export utility to export a DB from PROD to QA. I have 2 questions.

- how do I exactly specify an export file say miprod.dmp in export commandline
          exp file=miprod

You probably want to specify some more things like log=miprod and so forth (dmp is the default file extension, log is the default log extension). You can say exp help=y to see options, and of course the docs explain everything, including the different types of options. Perhaps even transportable tablespace, depending on your version.

DIRECT=Y compress=N recordlength=65535 worked good for me, but there are things that will convert it to conventional path.
          - I am exporting the DB without data from PROD. In this case do I need to explicitly create all the tablespaces in PROD into QA DB
          You don't have to, but I generally have found it is a good idea. Depending.

Also see http://www.oracledba.co.uk/tips/import_speed.htm
          • 2. Re: Original export utility
            Links were for import

Edited by: 3360 on Jan 29, 2013 1:15 PM