This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2013 5:54 PM by Ganesh RSS

Create Incident or Update Incident not working?

Ganesh Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Guys,

I am trying to auto update an Incident for a particular event, but it is not updating.

I did a Add Action, Add Conditional Action - Create Incident or Update Incident - Update Incident- Assign to 'SYSMAN'. It does not seem to Assign. (I tried to update the priority, status...nothing seems to work). I have notification in the same section and the email works.

I definitely see the event is related to an incident, just that it is not updating it.

I tried both options, Create Incident (If not associated with one) & Update Incident

Any help on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Edited by: Ganesh on Jan 31, 2013 8:56 AM
Sorry... had it as " ...Assign to 'SYSMAN'. It does seem to Assign.... " wherein it should be "....Assign to 'SYSMAN'.It does not seem to Assign.... "
  • 1. Re: Create Incident or Update Incident not working?
    AMcCollu Explorer
    Hi Ganesh,

Can we get more details on how your rules are set up?
    1) Do you have a separate rule where the Incident is created for the event? So does it look something like this:

Rule 1 -- create incident
    Rule 2 -- < Conditional Action>
    [ x ]Update Incident
    Assign to: <user>
    Set priority to: <some value>
    Set status to: <some value>
    Email to: <some recipients>

And you're saying the assignment works and email works but not the setting or priority and status? What do you mean by not working -- is the value not set at all or set to a different value?

If your rules are setup differently from what I have above, can you provide more details?

2) For the rule where you are seeing problems, what conditional action did you specify?
    Also, what criteria did you specify in this rule?

Thanks,
    Ana
  • 2. Re: Create Incident or Update Incident not working?
    684574 Newbie
    Hi Ganesh,

It seems that your use case is, when a event comes in , create an incident wand update the incident with owner and priority.

In this case, have you tried the following:

[check]create incident
    [check]assign owner to me
    [check]set priority to high

With this rule, the incident will be created and updated with new owner and priority.

Please note we don't have support update to status in this section, since there is no known real use case to mark a newly created incident's status as closed or working in progress.

if you also want to upate the incident's status as closed or working in progress when there is some actions/udate to the event/incident, you can do so by ading a second rule, selecting whatever update/change you are interested in
    selection page, and then select "update incident" section in the actions page.

Edited by: user735345 on Jan 30, 2013 2:14 PM

Edited by: user735345 on Jan 30, 2013 2:18 PM
  • 3. Re: Create Incident or Update Incident not working?
    Ganesh Newbie
    Thanks Ana for checking this.

I am having my rule on the updates to events.

Rules - Create - Incoming Events and Updates to Events - Select by Type - Specific events of type Metric Alert - JMS Destination Metrics - Add Action - Always execute the actions - Create Incident or Update Incident - Create Incident (If not associated with one) / Update Incident - Assign to SYSMAN - Notifications - Email To - xx@xx.com

The email is sent ok, but the incident is not assigned to SYSMAN.

The event has the Associated Incident Id set, but the incident is not getting updated.

In the same section, next to Assign, I tried with setting priority, and even that is not set to the incident.

I have this as the third rule set, next to System Generated ones (where in the incident and events are created).
  • 4. Re: Create Incident or Update Incident not working?
    Ganesh Newbie
    It seems that your use case is, when a event comes in , create an incident wand update the incident with owner and priority.
    Yes. For Incidents created from a particular event, I want to set the owner/priority. I don't want to create the incident but rather want to use the incident already created by the event.

Thanks!
  • 5. Re: Create Incident or Update Incident not working?
    AMcCollu Explorer
    Hi Ganesh,

ok, thanks for clarifying.
    In your rule, did you also select the 'Create Incident' checkbox as well as the 'Update Incident' checkbox? If not, can you try that out and let me know if that works or not?

thanks,
    Ana
  • 6. Re: Create Incident or Update Incident not working?
    Ganesh Newbie
    I did. I selected both, but it does not seem to update the incident.
  • 7. Re: Create Incident or Update Incident not working?
    AMcCollu Explorer
    Hi Ganesh,

ok, thanks for checking. I also checked with devt and it is a bug we're currently working on.
    As a workaround, you could move your ruleset ahead (in order) of the out-of-box rule sets.
    This assumes your ruleset will have the 'create incident' option selected with the Assign To also set to assign it to the user. So basically your rule set will be creating and also assigning the incident to the user.
    The out-of-box rule sets that attempt to create an incident won't create another incident for the same event if your rule set already created the incident; it will only create incidents for events that you don't specify in your rule set.
    Hope this provides a solution for you while we fix the bug. Pls let me know if you have questions on this.

On a separate note, wondering why you are assigning incidents to sysman? Generally, we don't recommend the use of sysman for operational activities. Best practice is to create a separate EM user and use that user for operations such as working on incidents, etc.

Regards,
    Ana
  • 8. Re: Create Incident or Update Incident not working?
    Ganesh Newbie
    Fantastic. Thanks Ana. That explains it.

I will try with moving my rule up.

I am setting to SYSMAN as a temporary thing, we will be getting the users created soon (from OVD, hopefully there wont be any issues on that) and based on the type of the event, it will be assigned and emailed to them.

Appreciate your help on this.

Ganesh

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points