This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 11:47 PM by VC RSS

Set IR Columns outside of Action menu (APEX 4.0.1)

Matt.Smith Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am trying to find a way to set the selected columns, like what the action menu -> select columns does. I am planning to build a AJAX Tree with check boxes, but I don't know where to pass that data to to update the selected columns. I'm sure their is a magic apex function that is passing the values of the current shuffle box, but as that is dynamically created, I have not be able to find that process / function. Any help would be great on this one...

Reason for this: Too many columns on the IR report. Want them divided by categories in a tree view. And no, I cant break the report up into multiple reports. Currently this report has 548 columns.... (don't ask)....

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Set IR Columns outside of Action menu (APEX 4.0.1)
    VC Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    Matt.Smith wrote:
    I am trying to find a way to set the selected columns, like what the action menu -> select columns does. I am planning to build a AJAX Tree with check boxes, but I don't know where to pass that data to to update the selected columns. I'm sure their is a magic apex function that is passing the values of the current shuffle box, but as that is dynamically created, I have not be able to find that process / function. Any help would be great on this one...
    Its not recommended to hack the undocumented apex functions/api.
    Reason for this: Too many columns on the IR report. Want them divided by categories in a tree view. And no, I cant break the report up into multiple reports. Currently this report has 548 columns.... (don't ask)....
    I think there is no straight forward way, you will have to implement a custom solution.

One idea is add all columns to display in your IR report and then in the report attributes > amend each report column and set to conditional display based on some logic derived from the checked values tree view(example page item with : delimited list of checked values). So when user selects some check boxes in tree view > using javascript you should set the checked values into a page item as colon delimited (lets say PX_PAGE_ITEM) > when users click OK button (confirm the columns) > trigger a dynamic action to refresh the IR report (make sure you include the PX_PAGE_ITEM into Page items to Submit field so that the calues are set into apex session state)
    //example if user checked col1 and col2, custom ajax should set the page item value as below
    COL1:COL2

//in the IR report columns > conditional display > use some condition type 
    //ex. plsql expression, here you know which column you are editing so for col1 enter
    instr(:PX_PAGE_ITEM,'COL1') > 0
    //for col2
    instr(:PX_PAGE_ITEM,'COL2') > 0

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points