This issue has been bugging me for a while.
I have a fairly simple analysis which contains a Pivot Table view displaying data which depends on Year and Month. I've set up a Dashboard Prompt which asks for a Year (radio buttons) and one or more months (checkmarks), then those values are passed onto the analysis.
The analysis Pivot Table would display the year and month in prompts at the top of the view. Now, when I build the analysis, usually there's one year value and one month value already populated in the top prompts. Now when I display that analysis in thew dashboard and pick a different year/month than the one the Pivot Table prompts has pre-populated, the analysis displays "The layout of this view combined with the data, selections, drills, or prompt values chosen resulted in no data." Then I have a link to "Undo drills and view prompt values" which is useless because it pulls ALL data that the analysis can get from the system, which takes a long time to complete.
I have to use Pivot Table prompts to switch between months if more than one month is selected, in order to save real estate space on the dashboard. The only dashboard-specific workaround that I found is to select TWO or more months, then in the Pivot Table prompts I switch to a different month, then back to the initial month displayed, therefore forcing the Pivot Table to retrieve data again, and then finally data is displayed.
Is there any way to make the analysis Pivot Table understand that it needs to pull the data again and change its own prompts to what the Dashboard Prompt is sending it?
Dashboard prompt has Default Year as 2013, default month as January.
Pivot Table has default prompt values as 2011 and April.
When running the Dashboard, I get the message "The layout of this view combined with the data, selections, drills, or prompt values chosen resulted in no data."
If I change dashboard prompts to Year 2012 and Months November and December, I get the same message, however I can change "November" pivot table prompt drop-down to "December", then data is displayed, then I can switch it back to "November" and I can see the new data populating.
We see this behaviour sometimes when using table or pivot table prompts. These are what Presentation Services refers to as 'page edge' elements. I think I may have a solution for you... go to the criteria tab and add a second copy of your year and month columns to the criteria. Add these to your pivot table (main body of table) and set them to 'hidden'. By doing this we ensure Presentation Services has not only these elements at page edge but within the actual view itself. Post back here and let us know how you get on.
Thank you for the reply but unfortunately that made things worse. You see, the month and year are filtered in the analysis ("is prompted"). Now, with the addition of the duplicate columns, the analysis takes forever to load (stuck in "Searching..."). It seems to never finish. I have tried to filter those extra columns as well ("is prompted") but there's no behavior change, the analysis is still searching forever.