1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 2:46 AM by Marwim Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: BLOB Datatype
        ascheffer
        I don't know what you have been googling that you gave the very false impression that you have to "download" a blob before you can read it with plsql.
        But using the google query from jeneesh will give you enough examples of reading a blob with plsql.
        Skipping the first two as they are obvious java related, the third (a bit old) will do.
        And the fourth is the link Mahmoud_Rabie posted.
        What problem do you have wiht reading a blob?
        • 16. Re: BLOB Datatype
          Billy~Verreynne
          985250 wrote:

I want to run my program from oracle database itself without saving it on drive.
          You are still not making sense with statements like that.

Run which program? Run the program where?

You do not want to save the program to disk? You do not want to save the database on disk?

What on earth are you saying/asking/implying with such a cryptic and ambiguous statement?
          • 17. Re: BLOB Datatype
            Billy~Verreynne
            Mahmoud_Rabie wrote:
            You can workaround this code to achieve what you want
            Or one can simply throw this code in the garbage bin where it belongs.

It starts off wrong - hitting the same row in the same table twice. And then go downhill from there. And then winds up with posting a URL to a commercial site - a violation of the Terms of Use of OTN. Not to mention the pathetic request at the end, for the posting to be marked correct for scoring forum points.
            • 18. Re: BLOB Datatype
              Marwim
              Hello Anton,

I tried to understand what he really means and I think:
              the problem is not the read the BLOB with PL/SQL, but to show/process it on the client, like viewing an image, without downloading it to the client PC.

Though he still does not tell us the kind of file he wants not do download and which program he wants to use.

Regards
              Marcus
              • 19. Re: BLOB Datatype
                ascheffer
                That's why I asked the OP "what do you mean with reading and acessing a BLOB file (with PLSQL), just read every byte of the BLOB, or ......."
                But I think I have to agree wiith Billy that OP fails to grasp some basic issues, including How to ask a question SQL and PL/SQL FAQ
                • 20. Re: BLOB Datatype
                  Mahmoud_Rabie
                  Billy Verreynne wrote:
                  It starts off wrong - hitting the same row in the same table twice. And then go downhill from there.
                  So, you should optimize it to be to share your technical experience with others
                  SELECT dbms_lob.getlength(productblob),product_blob
                  INTO len,vblob
                  FROM products
                  WHERE id = product_id;
                  Billy Verreynne wrote:
                  And then winds up with posting a URL to a commercial site - a violation of the Terms of Use of OTN.
                  Where ??????????
                  Did you mean
                  http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_read_blob.htm
                  It is for education not for marketing
                  Where is the clue of (Terms of Use of OTN) which is contradicting with the URL????
                  Billy Verreynne wrote:
                  Not to mention the pathetic request at the end, for the posting to be marked correct for scoring forum points.
                  I would say
                  Correct answer deserves 10 points
                  Helpful answer deserves 5 points
                  Asking poster to give points is not pathetic request as you understood but it is the correct way to evaluate each answer to help the searcher on OTN
                  It will help to increase quality of OTN.
                  If someone sees that the answer doesn't deserve, he will not give the points to one doesn't deserve.

Am I wrong?
                  • 21. Re: BLOB Datatype
                    Marwim
                    I would say
                    Asking poster to give points where it should be earned is not violating the rules of OTN
                    Am I wrong?
                    {message:id=9698382} -> Nr 7
                    • 22. Re: BLOB Datatype
                      Mahmoud_Rabie
                      Dear Marwin,

Thank you for your kind and concentrated response
                      Now, I am respecting this
                      8) Requesting a question is marked as answered.
                      Furthering the above point, if the original poster has indicated that their question has been answered, and they haven't marked the thread as answered, by all means feel free to say *"Please mark the thread as answered so members can focus on other threads". Just don't ask for points.*
                      This is the official/right way in advising not writing words like pathetic request

Best Regards
                      Mahmoud
                      • 23. Re: BLOB Datatype
                        ascheffer
                        But Billy did follow the forum rules when using words like pathetic request.

2) Consideration for non-new members
                        If someone is not a new member and had posted a document type question or not formatted their code etc. feel free to point out ( as politely as you can manage ) that they should know better and link to this FAQ thread.
                        • 24. Re: BLOB Datatype
                          Mahmoud_Rabie
                          Dear Anton,

Thanks for your kind response.
                          Let's concentrate in solving technical problems of our friends in this forums politely and with no arrogance

Regards
                          Mahmoud
                          • 25. Re: BLOB Datatype
                            Billy~Verreynne
                            Mahmoud_Rabie wrote:
                            And then winds up with posting a URL to a commercial site - a violation of the Terms of Use of OTN.
                            Where ??????????
                            Did you mean
                            http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_read_blob.htm
                            It is for education not for marketing
                            So the dozen or so banner ads on that page is for education then? Education about what? On marketing?
                            Where is the clue of (Terms of Use of OTN) which is contradicting with the URL????
                            Section 6 of The Terms of Use:
                            >
                            You agree that you will not Share any Content that: ... *(j) contains a solicitation of funds, goods or services, or promotes or advertises goods or services;* ..
                            >

The link you have posted is to a clearly commercial site that advertises goods and services. Nor is the content of such a high quality, that the same details cannot be found, with examples, and up to date, in Oracle manuals, on OTN, or on www.oracle.com sites.

Not to mention the pathetic request at the end, for the posting to be marked correct for scoring forum points.
                            I would say
                            Asking poster to give points is not pathetic request as you understood but it is the correct way to evaluate each answer to help the searcher on OTN
                            No it does not. As the original poster often lacks the knowledge and experience to judge which posting is correct and which not. There are many postings where the wrong posting is marked as the answer.
                            It will help to increase quality of OTN.
                            No it does not. It increases noise - people with little experience and big egos wanting to score points and reach "guru" status, posting stuff that is simply a repeat of what was already posted, not relevant to the actual question and issue at hand, or worse, misleading and incorrect - in the hope that this posting will score points. And to try and make sure it does, often ends with the statement of "allocate points please".
                            If someone sees that the answer doesn't deserve, he will not give the points to one doesn't deserve.
                            Wrong. The correct method is for the community here, to score answers. Up vote or down vote postings (similar to the method used by youtube for scoring comments). This will allow a person that reads a thread to see which postings are rated the highest by the OTN forum community.

Besides, judging postings need to be done on content. Not points. Not who posted it (newbie or guru or ace). It should be about WHAT that posting conveys in information and details, and the evidence it uses to back up that information and details (like code samples and official documentation references).
                            • 26. Re: BLOB Datatype
                              Mahmoud_Rabie
                              I respect your opinion. However, I disagree in all things you stated except these 2 points
                              The correct method is for the community here, to score answers. Up vote or down vote postings (similar to the method used by youtube for scoring comments). This will allow a person that reads a thread to see which postings are rated the highest by the OTN forum community.
                              Besides, judging postings need to be done on content. Not points. Not who posted it (newbie or guru or ace). It should be about WHAT that posting conveys in information and details, and the evidence it uses to back up that information and details (like code samples and official documentation references).
                              • 27. Re: BLOB Datatype
                                hi,

Marcus you are right.

My problem is not the read the BLOB with PL/SQL, but to show/process it on the client, like viewing an image, without downloading it to the client PC.

In our application whenever i open any blob file that is image or pdf file then it will open but it is downloaded in my c drive and that i dont want
                                is there any way to open that blob file without downloading it on my machine (OS)

Regards
                                • 28. Re: BLOB Datatype
                                  Billy~Verreynne
                                  I've already answered your question. Read my posting above again. Yes, you can read a BLOB directly into an Image class (on the client) and render that on the client app window. No need to create an o/s file on the client.

But it seems like you want to remain ignorant and confused, instead of reading the answers to your question and grasping the fundamentals that are conveyed.
                                  • 29. Re: BLOB Datatype
                                    Marwim
                                    In our application whenever
                                    Please give us a chance to help you. You still didn't tell us anything about your application (third party tool, your own development, JAVA, C, Client/Server,...) or about the kind of files you want to process.
                                    1 2 Previous Next