This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 11:22 PM by 986518 RSS

ASM on Windows

986518 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Am using windows 7, i want to install oracle DB 11.2g and it cannot install the asm, i have tried to run the oradim but it doesn't work,
pls tell me can't i install using the partition on my windows, i tried the same thing using 10.2 g and it works on 10 but not working on 11g. Thanks
  • 1. Re: ASM on Windows
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 2. Re: ASM on Windows
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru
    Hi,

Welcome to OTN Forums!

Firstly oradim is Oracle tool for create instance service only windows os in the %ORACLE_HOME%/bin.

If you want install Oracle Database on oracle ASM with version 11g R2.
    As know now oracle ASM coming with grid infrastructure, GI = Clusterware + ASM

And you need no formated disk.

Regards
    Mahir M. Quluzade
  • 3. Re: ASM on Windows
    986518 Newbie
    32bit
  • 4. Re: ASM on Windows
    EdStevens Guru
    983515 wrote:
    32bit
    Why limit yourself to 32-bit address space? Is it even possible to buy 32-bit hardware any more? So if the hardware is 64-bit, I can't see any justification for running a 32-bit OS.
  • 5. Re: ASM on Windows
    986518 Newbie
    i did not format, i took the same process on 10gr2 and it works
  • 6. Re: ASM on Windows
    986518 Newbie
    am running a 32bit os and 32bit oracle
  • 7. Re: ASM on Windows
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi,

32-bit is the reason.

With 11gR2 ASM moved into the Grid Infrastructure (Oracle Restart) for Single Instance.
    However there is no GI software for Windows 32-bit.
    Hence no 11gR2 ASM for Windows 32-bit.

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 8. Re: ASM on Windows
    986518 Newbie
    Thanks But can i run it on VMware or VitualBox
  • 9. Re: ASM on Windows
    User328666 Newbie
    Yes, it works, but I don't think this will solve your problem. If your computer has a 32-bit processor and 32-bit operating system, then you probably won't be able to run a 64-bit guest operating system inside the VM, so again you won't be able to run Grid Infrastructure / ASM.

Technically you can run ASM in an Oracle VirtualBox VM. I am doing that. My host o/s is 64-bit Windows 7 on an Apple MacBook Pro laptop, and my guest o/s is 64-bit CentOS 6.2. This runs ASM. BUT ... there is a big difference between "can you do it?" and "will it void the Oracle Support agreement?". My configuration is unsupported for several reasons. I only use this configuration for playing around not for real work.

For vmware there is an Oracle on Vmware Best Practices Guide that talks about using ASM. You might to to vmware's web site and search for that file or just search for ASM.
  • 10. Re: ASM on Windows
    EdStevens Guru
    983515 wrote:
    Again .. WHY? Isn't your hardware 64-bit?

You can't even BUY 32-bit hardware any more, so it makes no sense to install 32-bit OS. And with Sebastian's observation that 11g ASM is not even available for 32-bit OS, it seems Oracle agrees. No one is trying to run 16-bit or 8-bit OS's on modern hardware. So why 32-bit?

Edited by: EdStevens on Jan 31, 2013 10:55 AM
  • 11. Re: ASM on Windows
    EdStevens Guru
    902835 wrote:
    Yes, it works, but I don't think this will solve your problem. If your computer has a 32-bit processor and 32-bit operating system, then you probably won't be able to run a 64-bit guest operating system inside the VM, so again you won't be able to run Grid Infrastructure / ASM.

Technically you can run ASM in an Oracle VirtualBox VM. I am doing that. My host o/s is 64-bit Windows 7 on an Apple MacBook Pro laptop, and my guest o/s is 64-bit CentOS 6.2. This runs ASM. BUT ... there is a big difference between "can you do it?" and "will it void the Oracle Support agreement?". My configuration is unsupported for several reasons. I only use this configuration for playing around not for real work.

For vmware there is an Oracle on Vmware Best Practices Guide that talks about using ASM. You might to to vmware's web site and search for that file or just search for ASM.
    FWIW, VBox claims they can run a 64-bit VM on a 32-bit host, but I've never had much luck doing so.

Edited by: EdStevens on Jan 31, 2013 10:52 AM
  • 12. Re: ASM on Windows
    Dude! Guru
    Thanks But can i run it on VMware or VitualBox
    Not unless you want reasonable performance. Hardware Assisted Virtualization requires a 64-bit guest OS.
  • 13. Re: ASM on Windows
    Dude! Guru
    You can, but the RAM you can allocate to the virtual machine will be limited by what the VirtualBox application can allocate. If the VirtualBox runs in a 32-bit host system, the max RAM for any virtual machine should be around 3.5 GB, unless your host system uses PAE (36-bit addressing).
  • 14. Re: ASM on Windows
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    983515 wrote:
    I last ran an Oracle server on 32bit h/w and o/s back in '99. :-)

Which is why it is very strange that you are running a 32bit server. The h/w you have is more than likely, 64bit. So why then use a 32bit o/s and 32bit software? Especially on a server platform?
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points