3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 5:43 AM by Shankar S.-Oracle RSS

[OLAP DML] display on screen the output while the program is running

Hi,

I'm running a script in AWM that is quite long, and I've placed some few 'show' so that I know what the program is doing, but it won't show on the screen the outputs until the program ends. I guess it writes all the outputs in a kind of buffer and release the content of the buffer at the end of the program.

How could I have it to release this buffer continuously?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: [OLAP DML] display on screen the output while the program is running
          Nasar-Oracle
          Instead of SHOW commands, you can use sql insert to insert the output into a table. Do commit after each insert.
          You will then see the outputs of your olap dml program as it executes, by querying that table.

For sql insert syntax, see this:
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/olap.112/e17122/dml_commands_2058.htm

• 2. Re: [OLAP DML] display on screen the output while the program is running
            I see. That's a good idea. But it's a bit heavy for just a visual check, because the log will show up at the end anyway.
            I'd just like to see what the program is doing in the olap worksheet so that I know if it is executing a long process or bugging !
            • 3. Re: [OLAP DML] display on screen the output while the program is running
              Shankar S.-Oracle
              i think the relational analogy would be an anonymous pl/sql block executing a list of commands while outputting a list of useful dbms_output.put_line log statements:
              Just as with SHOW and olap worksheet cmd line, you cant see the running dbms_output log while the pl/sql program is running... you need to wait for it to complete before you can see the log.

You can write to a file and close/exit the file each time or you can write to log table and commit each time but i guess, some such heavy lifting is needed if you want to track the long running process mid-way.

NOTE: For regular operations like dbms_cube.build load/forecast/allocate process/steps, you can always run queries against CUBE_BUILD_LOG etc mid-way. But if it's pure olap dml actions being performed then no neat pre-built handle to check things mid-way exists.