8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 8:11 AM by stevecpp RSS

Fast Formula Question

stevecpp
      Please could someone confirm whether a fast formula can include a statement to generate the element entry automatically?

I've created a formula to produce the value which i require, but i don't want the element to appear in element entries unless the the value is greater than 0.

At the moment i need to have the element firstly added to the element entries for the formula to work, as i obviously haven't got the above set up.

So in summary i've only ever used fast formulas where the element is already in the element entries, before payroll is run. Now i would like the element to generate automatically only if a value is met in the FF when payroll is run.

Many Thanks

Steve
        • 1. Re: Fast Formula Question
          stevecpp
          I'm wonding if the only way is to create an information element to handle this, which wouldn't be ideal.

Thanks
          • 2. Re: Fast Formula Question
            clive_t
            Hi Steve

A quick question: why do you think you need an element entry, as opposed to a run result?

I'm not sure creating element entries for an assignment during a payroll run is going to be a good idea, not the least of reasons being that it won't get processed because the payroll process only knows what element entries exist at the start of processing an assignment.

Clive
            • 3. Re: Fast Formula Question
              stevecpp
              Hi,

Initially the idea was the payroll team can visually see what's happening on the element entries screen. How would you do this through run results? Sorry i don't quite follow.

Thanks

Steev
              • 4. Re: Fast Formula Question
                clive_t
                OK, run results are literally the results of what happened to a specific element entry during a specific payroll run. Normally the payroll team will get to see these if they look at an assignment within a given payroll run. If you navigate to

View -> Assignment Process Results

You will be able to look at the Payroll processes for that assignment (these are termed Assignment Actions) - for payroll (or Quickpay) types, there is the option, via a button at the bottom of the screen, to view the results. Thereafter you can see what run results and run result values were generated

In a formula, when it RETURNs something, that result can go somewhere. Where it actually goes depends on how you've configured the Formula Result Rules. There are numerous mechanisms available, but the most common one is 'Indirect Result'. This allows you to fire a formula on element type 'X' and have the result of a calculation sent as an indirect result to element 'Y'. There is no actual element entry for element 'Y', but there will be a run result and indeed a run result value for element 'Y' for that pay run for that assignment.

Hope that helps, but come back if you need further clarification.

Clive
                • 5. Re: Fast Formula Question
                  stevecpp
                  Ah sorry, i do know what you mean, but didn't think it through. As standard i would use indirect in Info elements to feed another element. What i haven't done before is process this at a run result level without creating the element.

I'll give it a go.

Many Thanks
                  • 6. Re: Fast Formula Question
                    Sanjay Singh
                    Hi,

I think the best option if you need to handle this with fast formula is having the information element and we use this kind of design for requirements where in some calculation is required and child entries to be created based on the calculation.

Example - If there is a requirement of recovering an salary advance as a deduction element in x number of pay cycles, then its better to desing the parent information which captures the Salary advance details and number of periods and then within the FF we calculate the EMI for the month and feed an "indirect result" to the respective deduction element. Also, for you information in this example mentioned if you want to stop the processiong of the parent information element when the entire recovery is done then you can set the stop flag to Yes and the parent information element with get endated automatically.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
                    Sanjay
                    • 7. Re: Fast Formula Question
                      clive_t
                      If I've understood you correctly, the 'indirect' element 'Y' (to return to my example) can itself have a formula and formula results all of its own to do calculations etc based on the received 'input' (ie the indirect run result value from element 'X')

If I haven't understood you correctly, then my apologies! :-)

Clive
                      • 8. Re: Fast Formula Question
                        stevecpp
                        Thanks both for the replies. In the instance i was looking at there was actually an information element already present in which i could tag the indirect result to.

Helpful advice.

Thanks

Steve