This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 11:59 AM by Yannick Ongena RSS

Oracle Web center portal Architecture

988330 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I am new to Oracle Webcenter portal product.

I want to understand this product's Architecture, its features and why should we use the Portal product for my enterprise application ?
  • 1. Re: Oracle Web center portal Architecture
    jiri.machotka Guru
    As for the Architecture, it is quite simple: WebCenter Portal is a J2EE application built on top of the ADF framework.

It has too many features to be listed, but the initial introduction can be based on the wikipedia definition of an enterprise portal, namely:
    - secure unified access point (your users will always start here and based on their roles they will have access only to applications/information they are authorized to use)
    - aggregate (e.g. data from one application can be enriched by data from the other app or public resource without necessity to integrate at the application/database level)
    - personalize (users, or group leaders are authorized to modify layout/content of "their" portal pages without affecting other users)

The advantage of WebCenter Portal is also that
    a) it integrates smoothly with Oracle Fusion Applications (front-ends of these apps is written in WebCenter Portal)
    b) it provides many useful "2.0" services out of the box

Don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions.
  • 2. Re: Oracle Web center portal Architecture
    988330 Newbie
    Thanx...
    But Kindly elaborate on the architecture in detail.
    I want to have a clear picture of the portal architecture viz all its components and their functioning.
  • 3. Re: Oracle Web center portal Architecture
    jiri.machotka Guru
    This is probably a bit too much for a forum. Pls., visit this page with the documentation: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21764_01/webcenter.htm

You can start with Getting Started Tour
  • 4. Re: Oracle Web center portal Architecture
    Yannick Ongena Employee ACE
    If you want to have a clear understanding on the architecture, please read the enterprise deployment guide: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/core.1111/e12037/toc.htm
    This described all the components in much detail. It gives also a detailed overview of the architecture.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points