This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2013 10:34 PM by jiri.machotka RSS

UCM-Desktop Integration Suite-

SureshNayak Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
In one of my usecase i need to customize check-in button present in oracle-UCM addin of MS Office. How to do this ? Any information regarding overriding the button functionality and api details?
  • 1. Re: UCM-Desktop Integration Suite-
    jiri.machotka Guru
    What exactly do you need? I'm afraid that any changes to DIS would have to be an enhancement request.
  • 2. Re: UCM-Desktop Integration Suite-
    SureshNayak Newbie
    Actually i want to customize check-in button. that is save some of the data from excel file into database before it gets uploaded into ucm. So want to override the event handler for check-in button.
  • 3. Re: UCM-Desktop Integration Suite-
    jiri.machotka Guru
    You should give more details. However, I think you could cover this with a Java Filter; for instance, in validateCheckinData Java filter event. The prerequisite for that to work is that all parameters must be available in the context (e.g. in the checked-in file).

Note that DIS is "just another interface" for check-ins. I guess that if you check in an Excel from web GUI you might want to do the same, right?
  • 4. Re: UCM-Desktop Integration Suite-
    SureshNayak Newbie
    To be specific... In our application, we have an excel file which is edited on few fields, those edited field data should be stored in database during the time of check-in back to UCM.
    So we are planning to override the event handler function of check-in button.

Can you suggest me any other possible way to achieve this.

If we can override using validateCheckinData function then can you please specify the library and class details.
  • 5. Re: UCM-Desktop Integration Suite-
    jiri.machotka Guru
    If we can override using validateCheckinData function then can you please specify the library and class details.
    OK. It looks you need a crash course on filters.

validateCheckinData is a Java filter event. When you define your custom component you may define which class is executed when the event occurs. This one, in particular, is triggered "during a check-in or update to validate the metadata fields." I didn't know if the field data in Excel has something to do with item's metadata, but this is quite a safe place to add your functionality whatever it does.
    As for class, it will be your own, implementing an interface intradoc.shared.FilterImplementor In a nutshell, you will need to implement a method called doFilter.
    As for library (to compile your class), there is a idcserver.jar library, which you may (and should) take from your installation.
    In this thread Re: Java Component using validateStandard and SystemDatabase fails to incr cntr you will find where exactly it the jar located.

If you drop me an email I can send you a component with an implemented filter. There are also few samples available at http://bexhuff.com/2011/03/howto-component-samples-for-oracle-ucm-11g

--------------

I have one more question concerning your use case. You write that
    those edited field data should be stored in database during the time of check-in back to UCM
    How is it related to the content item? Is the "database" the one used by UCM?
    If the values in the database are item's metadata (and they are not those mandatory ones that must be provided during checkin like security group), you could also use Content Categorizer, which may pull metadata for an item out of the item's content. Of course, you can do the same with the filter (and have probably more powerful tool), but if this is your scenario, you could go without customizations.
  • 6. Re: UCM-Desktop Integration Suite-
    SureshNayak Newbie
    To clarify about your doubt on use case. Let me explain briefly regarding about the use case.
    In our application we have reports in excel format, which are frequently updated and those excel documents to be available for those who have access to it. So we are using UCM to store those documents. The changes are made on the data fields of excel file and not on the metadata of the document. So every change made should be noted. So we want it to be stored in database( of our own not that to UCM database) during the time of check-in. So we are planning to customize the check-in button.
  • 7. Re: UCM-Desktop Integration Suite-
    jiri.machotka Guru
    OK. Then, forget about Categorization.

Among sample components there is one which demonstrates how to access an external database.

If you combine this with the filter you should be able to get what you want.
  • 8. Re: UCM-Desktop Integration Suite-
    SureshNayak Newbie
    Which sample component is that ?
  • 9. Re: UCM-Desktop Integration Suite-
    jiri.machotka Guru
    The last one, DatabaseProvider

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points