This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 11:27 PM by 936666 Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    936666 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    EdStevens wrote:
    Did that procedure produce the desired results?
    Yes i am able to create the database and connect via SQL developer and able to do the process , but need to check any other things are missing

Steps followed by me:

1) I have generated the scripts for a database using the DBCA wizard of 12 steps and saved in a place
    2)Then i have replaced the database name with my new database name (need to replace the old name by new name across all files in scripts folder )
    3)Added the new database name in listener.ora file restarted listener
    4)In scripts folder, there is a bat file which needs to be executed.

Scrips generated by DBCA Template
    -------------------------------------
    cloneDBCreation.sql
    CloneRmanRestore.sql
    lockAccount.sql
    postDBCreation.sql
    postScripts.sql
    NEWDB.sql
    rmanRestoreDatafiles.sql
    init.ora
    initNEWDBTemp.ora
    NEWDB.bat >>>>>>>>>>>>>> needs to be executed.

is the above files are good enough for creating a new database since it is generated by DBCA wizard or we need to Run the emca.bat file also.

One thing while restarting the listener will affect the existing database works?Will there be any problem for transaction for existing database since we restart the listener once we create new database.

Thanks!
  • 31. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    EdStevens Guru
    933663 wrote:
    EdStevens wrote:
    Did that procedure produce the desired results?
    Yes i am able to create the database and connect via SQL developer and able to do the process , but need to check any other things are missing

Steps followed by me:

1) I have generated the scripts for a database using the DBCA wizard of 12 steps and saved in a place
    2)Then i have replaced the database name with my new database name (need to replace the old name by new name across all files in scripts folder )
    3)Added the new database name in listener.ora file restarted listener
    4)In scripts folder, there is a bat file which needs to be executed.

Scrips generated by DBCA Template
    -------------------------------------
    cloneDBCreation.sql
    CloneRmanRestore.sql
    lockAccount.sql
    postDBCreation.sql
    postScripts.sql
    NEWDB.sql
    rmanRestoreDatafiles.sql
    init.ora
    initNEWDBTemp.ora
    NEWDB.bat >>>>>>>>>>>>>> needs to be executed.

is the above files are good enough for creating a new database since it is generated by DBCA wizard or we need to Run the emca.bat file also.
    Again .. does that give you what you need? If so, then it is correct. If not, then not. What does YOUR OWN TESTING show?

I don't know how to explain things any better. I've explained why the creation of the dbcontrol failed. I've explained TWO DIFFERENT methods of dealing with it. I've explained that the two methods are distinct and mutually exclusive.

Ok, it's your turn. Please read this entire thread. Read the explanations of WHY the scripts failed on the step of creating the dbcontrol. Don't worry about the fix, just focus on the fundamental reason why the step failed. Then explain it to me in your own words.

One thing while restarting the listener will affect the existing database works?Will there be any problem for transaction for existing database since we restart the listener once we create new database.
    The listener only creates a connection between the client and the database. It does not sustain that connection. Once the connection is made, the listener is out of the picture. If you stop a listener, all existing connections continue totally oblivious to the fact the listener has been stopped. If the listener is stopped, new tns connection requests will fail.
    >
    Thanks!
  • 32. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    936666 Newbie
    You have guide me all through the way Thanks a many for your time.
    I will / may come back if i face any problem in doing so.

Thanks!
  • 33. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    936666 Newbie
    Hi,
    I have problem here, i installed a new oracle 11.0.2.0 server in win 7
    and created the database using the scripts
    so for that i need to add an manual entry in listener.ora right so i did the same
    and run the bat file in the scripts folder
    and after finishing the installation i tried to connect it using the SQL developer tool i am getting the error as
    ORA-12505 TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect desc
    which means that in tnsnames.ora file we are missing the new database details so added the same after adding the details i am able to connect to the database.

Why there is an difference
    In my Win 2003 i added an entry in listener.ora and created the database and did not touch tnsnames.ora it works fine.
    where as in Win 7 i added an entry in listener.ora and created the database and i did touch tnsnames.ora it have any entry for the new database it works fine.
    so what is missing.

Thanks!
1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points