This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 11:27 PM by 936666 RSS

Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE

936666 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
While executing the database creation at the middle it is asking for password even if i give password (first attempt ) or empty enter (Last attempt)i'm unable to connect the database.

Password for DBSNMP user:
null [ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE

Thanks!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  • 1. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Post more information

Db version 4 digit ?
    Os version ?

Error: ORA 3114
    Text: not connected to ORACLE
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cause: A call to Oracle was attempted when no connection was
    established. Usually this happens because a user-written
    program has not logged on. It may also happen if communication
    trouble causes a disconnection.
    Action: Try again. If the message recurs and the program is user-written,
    check the program.
  • 2. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    936666 Newbie
    DB version :11.2.0
    OS Windows 2003

i run the wizard for my first database and kept the template in a place.
    I replaced my new database name with old one and execute the bat file.

While running this

host E:\app\username\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\emca.bat -config dbcontrol db -silent -DB_UNIQUE_NAME LAST -PORT 1522 -EM_HOME E:\app\username\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1 -LISTENER LISTENER -SERVICE_NAME LAST -SID LAST -ORACLE_HOME E:\app\username\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1 -HOST Meteor-dt1.adcorp.kla-tencor.com -LISTENER_OH E:\app\username\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1 -LOG_FILE E:\app\username\admin\LAST\scripts\emConfig.log;

Password for SYS user: it keeps on asking (not able to enter the password it keeps on blinking)

Note:Last is the database name.

Edited by: 933663 on Jan 31, 2013 6:28 AM
  • 3. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Clarify what exactly you did ?

did you take template and want to create database using this template ?
    did you template creation finished successfully ?
  • 4. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    936666 Newbie
    did you take template and want to create database using this template ?
    Yes
    No
  • 5. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    EdStevens Guru
    933663 wrote:
    DB version :11.2.0
    OS Windows 2003

While running this

host E:\app\username\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\emca.bat -config dbcontrol db -silent -DB_UNIQUE_NAME LAST -PORT 1522 -EM_HOME E:\app\username\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1 -LISTENER LISTENER -SERVICE_NAME LAST -SID LAST -ORACLE_HOME E:\app\username\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1 -HOST Meteor-dt1.adcorp.kla-tencor.com -LISTENER_OH E:\app\username\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1 -LOG_FILE E:\app\username\admin\LAST\scripts\emConfig.log;

Password for SYS user: it keeps on asking (not able to enter the password it keeps on blinking)

Note:Last is the database name.

Edited by: 933663 on Jan 31, 2013 6:28 AM
    I see that it seems to be stuck at the emca step. I've seen that a lot because it needs a tns connection to the new database but the listener doesn't yet know about the new database. There are two ways around this:

1) Regenerate your script/template by going through the wizard and NOT selecting to create the dbcontrol. Then, after you have run the script and created the database (without the dbcontrol) go back and run dbca and select to create dbcontrol on the new, now existing, database.

2) Before running the database creation script, modify the SID_LIST section of listner.ora, adding an entry for the yet to be created database. Then reload the listener.
  • 6. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    No
    Regenerate Template again .
  • 7. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    936666 Newbie
    1) Regenerate your script/template by going through the wizard and NOT selecting to create the dbcontrol. Then, after you have run the script and created the database (without the dbcontrol) go back and run dbca and select to create dbcontrol on the new, now existing, database.
    First point did not work for me since i tried to unload the control file path and generated the script but i'm unable to get the good script and one more thing is i again need to run the DBCA this is a work load for me since i need to generate the script and place it at client place where i can't ask anyone to run DBCA or other things right.
    2) Before running the database creation script, modify the SID_LIST section of listner.ora, adding an entry for the yet to be created database. Then reload the listener.
    Second option is also a manual work right i can't ask client to point to listner.ora file but i have not tried yet i will update you about that .
  • 8. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    EdStevens Guru
    933663 wrote:
    First point did not work for me since i tried to unload the control file path and generated the script but i'm unable to get the good script and one more thing is i again need to run the DBCA this is a work load for me since i need to generate the script and place it at client place where i can't ask anyone to run DBCA or other things right.
    Then you could script the execution of emca.
    >
    Second option is also a manual work right i can't ask client to point to listner.ora file but i have not tried yet i will update you about that .
    If this is for a 'green field' setup (my assumption) , why can't you provide them with the listener.ora as well?

At some point I get leery of trying to provide a bomb-proof idiot-proof script to a client site. If they don't have the expertise to do anything beyond click on 'run_this.cmd', then how are they to be expected to do anything else required to run a database system?
  • 9. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    936666 Newbie

Password for SYS user: it keeps on blinking (not able to enter the password)
    if i type password i can able to see the password which i type and vanishing it keeps on blinking. why?

Thanks!
  • 10. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    EdStevens Guru
    933663 wrote:

Password for SYS user: it keeps on blinking (not able to enter the password)
    if i type password i can able to see the password which i type and vanishing it keeps on blinking. why?
    That last sentence is really fractured and hard to understand, but it sounds like you are complaining that you can't see the password as you type it. If so, that is a common security measure to prevent passwords from being seen by someone looking over your shoulder. Just type the password and press 'enter'. Of course, if you'd read up more on the options for emca, you'd see that you could put all of those command line parms PLUS the passwords into a parameter file and simply reference that file on the command line ....

Thanks!
  • 11. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    936666 Newbie
    No i am unable to type since it keeps on blinking even if i type it is running faster
    some how if i entry the password and press enter i am getting the error as

Password for DBSNMP user:
    null [ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  • 12. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    936666 Newbie
    If this is for a 'green field' setup (my assumption) , why can't you provide them with the listener.ora as well?
    listener.ora
    SID_LIST_LISTENER =
      (SID_LIST =
        (SID_DESC =
          (SID_NAME = orcl)
          (ORACLE_HOME = E:\app\username\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1)
          (PROGRAM = extproc)
          (ENVS = "EXTPROC_DLLS=ONLY:E:\app\username\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\oraclr11.dll")
        )
      )

LISTENER =
      (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
        (DESCRIPTION =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1522))
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =localhost)(PORT = 1522))
        )
      )
    is it is listener.ora or tnsnames.ora
  • 13. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    EdStevens Guru
    933663 wrote:
    listener.ora
    SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (SID_NAME = orcl)
    (ORACLE_HOME = E:\app\username\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1)
    (PROGRAM = extproc)
    (ENVS = "EXTPROC_DLLS=ONLY:E:\app\username\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\oraclr11.dll")
    )
    )

LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1522))
    )
    )
    is it is listener.ora or tnsnames.ora
    "is it is listener.ora or tnsnames.ora"

Oh, my.

see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/sqlnet_overview/] Help! I can’t connect to my database
    see: [url http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/sqlnet_client_cfg/] Help! I can’t connect to my database (part duex)

I didn't ask you to provide me with listener.ora, I asked why you couldn't provide it to your client along with everything else you are doing for him.

And just to note ... with this in you listener.ora
    your listener will never get a request from any other machine ....

Edited by: EdStevens on Feb 1, 2013 7:29 AM
  • 14. Re: Error: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    936666 Newbie
    in my lsnrctl i am unable to see the database
    H:\lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 01-FEB-2013 19:10:31

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1522)))
    STATUS of the LISTENER
    ------------------------
    Alias                     LISTENER
    Version                   TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
    Start Date                01-FEB-2013 19:01:09
    Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 9 min. 22 sec
    Trace Level               off
    Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication
    SNMP                      OFF
    Listener Parameter File   C:\oracle\listener.ora
    Listener Log File         e:\app\username\diag\tnslsnr\mysystem\listener\alert\log.xml
    Listening Endpoints Summary...
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC1522ipc)))
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=localhost)(PORT=1522)))
    Services Summary...
    Service "orcl" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "orcl", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    The command completed successfully
    Service "First" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "First", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    The command completed successfully
    i am able to see the all the database which running under this instances

After that i pingged the database
    H:\>tnsping First

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 01-FEB-2013 19:13:47

Copyright (c) 1997, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
    C:\Oracle\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
    Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost
    )(PORT = 1522)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = FIRST)))
    OK (30 msec)
    where as in tnsping Last i am able to see the database
    H:\>tnsping Last

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 01-FEB-2013 19:13:47

Copyright (c) 1997, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
    C:\Oracle\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
    Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost
    )(PORT = 1522)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = LAST)))
    OK (30 msec)
    Last database is in oracleserviceLast

What is wrong with the process.
1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points