This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2013 3:44 AM by Erik Janssen RSS

Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g  R2 components needed

Raviteja Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,
We are currently running Oracle Application server 10g for applications developed using Oracle Forms/Reports and Oracle Portal.

We are planning to migrate to newest version of Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g R2 possible on a new server.

Can you please list me the Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g R2 components/products I need to install to run Oracle Forms/Reports and Oracle Portal applications?

I'd really appreciate if you could list the versions of those products and the sequence I need to install them.

Thank you so much in advance.
  • 1. Re: Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g  R2 components needed
    dpapde Explorer
    Hi,
    Below link gives the exact list of componnets required for the upgrade and also the sequence.

[http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E38115_01/doc.111210/e23975/intro.htm#BHCJDGEJ]

Thanks,
    Dhananjay
  • 2. Re: Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g  R2 components needed
    Erik Janssen Pro
    Hello Raviteja,

This is not an easy question to answer as it depends on your requirements :

<li>what Single Sign-On application will you be using (SSO or OAM) ?
    <li>will you be using Single Sign-On for Forms/Reports as well or is it restricted to Oracle Portal?

I'd suggest to read through Technical Bulletin [url https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&id=1364497.1]1364497.1, 'New Direction for Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g with Single Sign-On 10g' as it will help you to decide about your SSO solution.

Keep in mind that there is no Oracle Portal 11gR2, only 11gR1 (11.1.1.6). You may need switch your Portal and Forms/Reports install in separate MIDDLEWARE homes in order to use Portal 11gR1 and Forms/Reports 11gR2.

Thanks,
    EJ
  • 3. Re: Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g  R2 components needed
    Raviteja Newbie
    Hi Erik,
    Thank you so much for the post. We are currently using OAM but we want to get rid of it if possible due to the costs involved. Is it mandatory that we use OAM? Do Forms/Reports work with any third party Identity Management products?
    By the way, we have couple of applications in Oracle Portal as well and we need to migrate them too. We can go for 11gR1 for all if it's easier. Can we do away with OAM in that case?

Thank you so much
  • 4. Re: Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g  R2 components needed
    Erik Janssen Pro
    Hello Raviteja,

I'm afraid that I can't say much about Forms/Reports with third party Identity Management products. If I am right (others please correct if I am wrong), SSO in Forms/Reports is done through mod_osso protected URLs. So I would imagine that any Identity Management product which includes URL protection features, would be able to provide Single Sign-On.

Portal will be your bottleneck however as Portal relies on OID and Oracle's Single Sign-On products. Until December 2012, Application Server 10g Single Sign-On could be used. At this moment, OAM 11.1.1.5 is preferred whilst 11.1.2 is in the process of being certified for Oracle Portal 11.1.1.6. There is no way out of this I am afraid.

My recommendation would be to check whether you really need Oracle Portal as this will determine whether you will still need to keep OAM as Identity Management solution. Also check with the Oracle license department, FMW11g might come with a restricted OAM 11g license, you may not need a full license.

Thanks,
    EJ
  • 5. Re: Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g  R2 components needed
    Raviteja Newbie
    Thank you so much for the detailed post Erik. I will do some research on using third party IDM.

If anyone has any knowledge of using third party OID with Forms and Reports, please let me know.

Thank you
  • 6. Re: Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g  R2 components needed
    1004514 Newbie
    Hi all,

Do we know when Oracle Portal will be supported with Fusion Middleware R2? I am asking this question as there is some worry at our end whether Oracle Portal will be supported in future or not. We are moving to Oracle Portal 11.1.1.6 from Oracle Portal 10g and making investment. Whatever documets I have read so far convey the message that investment in Oracle Portal will be protected. Just need a confirmation or second openion on this.

Another question is that - "Is Oracle Portal 11.1.1.6 the latest software to be used for Oracle Portal?"

Thanks,
    Vaibhav
  • 7. Re: Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g  R2 components needed
    Erik Janssen Pro
    Oracle Portal 11.1.1.6 is the latest version. It is shipped with both FMW 11gR1 11.1.1.6 and FMW 11gR1 11.1.1.7.

Oracle will offer premier support for FMW11gR1 until June 2014. More info is available in the [url http://www.oracle.com/us/support/library/lifetime-support-middleware-069163.pdf]lifetime support policy document for FMW. The product will be in sustaining support after 2014. You will still receive support but there will be nog bug fixes anymore.

Thanks,
    EJ

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points