1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 8:05 AM by 988573 Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Group by help please
        Rahul_India
        On the other hand Oracle University do - you seem to be right about their certification:

Thats the reason i asked the query without analytic functions.
        I am preparing for it :D
        • 16. Re: Group by help please
          Billy~Verreynne
          Ikrischer wrote:
          BrendanP wrote:
          Analytic functions are essential if you use SQL professionally. Here, you can also use grouping though.
          no doubt analytic functions are very usefull but I would say you can use SQL professionally even without them. And they are not part of the SQL expert certification....
          SQL expert certification is worth as much as the paper it is written on. IMO.

It is a meaningless baseline for measuring how good the person can use the SQL language professionally, in order to solve real-word problems.

Analytical SQL is an essential tool for professional SQL use.
          • 17. Re: Group by help please
            sql_coder
            Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
            SQL expert certification is worth as much as the paper it is written on. IMO.
            I dont said anything about the worth of the SQL Expert certification programm, just that analytic functions are not part of it. But talk to Oracle, tell them to stop their certification programm, if you think it is useless.
            Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
            It is a meaningless baseline for measuring how good the person can use the SQL language professionally, in order to solve real-word problems.
            Analytical SQL is an essential tool for professional SQL use.
            I dont think it is a good behaviour to reference to a specific function if you can use SQL professionally or not, since you dont want to solve all world problems but only the ones importend for you or your company. If you need analytic functions regularly, learn how to use them. But if you dont need them, you can still be a professional SQL user withouth them. Whatever the discussion when you are a professional SQL user will lead to nowhere.....

Ikrischer

Edited by: Ikrischer on 01.02.2013 13:53

Edited by: Ikrischer on 01.02.2013 13:53
            • 18. Re: Group by help please
              Hi,
              This is Sanjit Here.
              You may try this code that should give you your required output.
              Try once and check!!

select * from cust where cust_id in(select distinct first_value(cust_id)
              over(partition by city order by city) from cust);

Thanks
              Sanjit
              1 2 Previous Next