This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2013 8:49 AM by Seedyman RSS

connection window broken

Seedyman Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I grabbed a copy of sqldeveloper64-3.2.20.09.87-no-jre, upgrading from sqldeveloper64-3.2.09.30-no-jre, and it imported my setting just fine. (64 bit windows 7)(jdk-6u38-windows-x64)
Seemed to work.
I try to edit a connection, nothing happens. I try to create a new one, nothing happens. (by nothing happens, I mean nothing at all happens when mouse click/menu select.) (This is the most infuriating possible way for a program to fail.)

Has anyone else seen any thing like this?
I have switched back to using the functional version, as I have a somewhat fluid environment I need to use this software in.
  • 1. Re: connection window broken
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi,

Best to run the ...\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.exe from the command line so any messages go to the console. Then you will have something more specific to post back here.

Regards,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team
  • 2. Re: connection window broken
    Seedyman Newbie
    Gary Graham wrote:
    Hi,

Best to run the ...\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper.exe from the command line so any messages go to the console. Then you will have something more specific to post back here.

Regards,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team
    Ooh, I didn't realize I could do that unfortunately it doesn't tell me much.
    xxxx\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin>sqldeveloper.exe
    _execv() failed, err=2Registered TimesTen

It prints that shortly after launching, and nothing new when I try to access the properties, or create a new connection.
  • 3. Re: connection window broken
    Seedyman Newbie
    It appears that jtds-1.3.0 is what breaks it.
  • 4. Re: connection window broken
    Gary Graham Expert
    So the basic lesson learned here: read the release notes! For example, for SQL Developer, see the Getting Started link under Third Party Databases here:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/sqldev-32-relnotes-1734493.html

For jTDS 1.2 vs 1.3, see here:
    http://sourceforge.net/p/jtds/news/2012/10/jtds-jdbc-driver-127-and-130-released/

So it turns out SQL Developer supports jTDS 1.2 (and perhaps any 1.2.x, but use 1.2 if there is any doubt). Whereas the SourceForge site says 1.3 is compatible with Java 7, and you should use 1.2 for Java 6 and below.

I just tried a quick test of "New Connection" on 3.2.20.09.87, with the following results:

1. Java 7 + jTDS 1.3 prompts (but just because it prompts does not mean you should try using 1.3)
    2. Java 7 + jTDS 1.2 prompts
    3. Java 6 + jTDS 1.3 does not prompt
    4. Java 6 + jTDS 1.2 prompts

The finding from (1) might explain your comment here:
    Re: Access SQL Server DB using SQL Dev 3.2.2

The other thread you commented on dealing with this topic:
    Re: Add Connection not working within Data Dictionary Import wizard

-Gary
  • 5. Re: connection window broken
    Seedyman Newbie
    Gary Graham wrote:
    So the basic lesson learned here: read the release notes! For example, for SQL Developer, see the Getting Started link under Third Party Databases here:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/sqldev-32-relnotes-1734493.html

For jTDS 1.2 vs 1.3, see here:
    http://sourceforge.net/p/jtds/news/2012/10/jtds-jdbc-driver-127-and-130-released/

So it turns out SQL Developer supports jTDS 1.2 (and perhaps any 1.2.x, but use 1.2 if there is any doubt). Whereas the SourceForge site says 1.3 is compatible with Java 7, and you should use 1.2 for Java 6 and below.

I just tried a quick test of "New Connection" on 3.2.20.09.87, with the following results:

1. Java 7 + jTDS 1.3 prompts (but just because it prompts does not mean you should try using 1.3)
    2. Java 7 + jTDS 1.2 prompts
    3. Java 6 + jTDS 1.3 does not prompt
    4. Java 6 + jTDS 1.2 prompts

The finding from (1) might explain your comment here:
    Re: Access SQL Server DB using SQL Dev 3.2.2

The other thread you commented on dealing with this topic:
    Re: Add Connection not working within Data Dictionary Import wizard

-Gary
    Lol, so the config I had was the one that didn't work.
    I had downgraded my Java from 7 since I actually DID read the release notes (that time) and figured that that was the thing cause my issues in the older version of sqldeveloper.
    But I imported my settings from the previous version which included jtds 1.3.
    It all seems good now.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points