7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 2:19 AM by Carlo den Otter-Oracle RSS

IP changed, unable to start listener

Russell H.
      Hi all,
      I shifted the machine which has been running a rapid install of Ebiz R12.1.1 recently, meaning a new IP was assigned.
      I've updated the hosts file, but now when i try to bring up the listener i receive an error stating the listener name is missing in the listener.ora file.

TNS-01151: Missing listener name, VIS, in LISTENER.ORA

Hosts
      192.168.56.101 oel63.localdomain oel63
      127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

listener.ora
      VIS =
      (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST) = oel63.localdomain)(PORT = 1576))
      )
      )

SID_LIST_VIS =
      (SID_LIST =
      (SID_DESC =
      (ORACLE_HOME= /u01/ebs/R12VIS/db/tech_st/11.1.0)
      (SID_NAME = VIS)
      )
      )

tnsnames.ora
      VIS=
      (DESCRIPTION=
      (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=oel63.localdomain)(PORT=1576))
      (CONNECT_DATA=
      (SID=VIS)
      ))

Not sure what else i am supposed to do. To me, both the TNSNAMES and LISTENER have the correct information. Nothing has changed since it was working correctly to now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
      Russell H.
        • 1. Re: IP changed, unable to start listener
          yoonas
          Hi,

Please provide a little bit of your environment info(os,db,etc)

Please see https://blogs.oracle.com/shay/entry/10_commandments_for_the_otn_fo

Your application is compeletely moved to a new server with new ip?

Can you explaing how did you shift it (backup and restore, cloning..)

Regards
          Yoonas
          • 2. Re: IP changed, unable to start listener
            Russell H.
            Hi,
            Oracle Linux 6 on a VM, Windows 7 64-bit as the host
            The VM itself is still on the same machine/server, however the router it was on changed, and new IP ranges where assigned.
            Thinking about it now, i could have gotten the same IP, but now i've got a new one, and i cant remember the old IP that was assigned.

All i did was update the hosts file with the new IP.

Cheers,
            Russ H
            • 3. Re: IP changed, unable to start listener
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              I shifted the machine which has been running a rapid install of Ebiz R12.1.1 recently, meaning a new IP was assigned.
              How did you shift the machine? Did you clone or just copy?
              TNS-01151: Missing listener name, VIS, in LISTENER.ORA
              https://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=TNS-01151&objID=c3&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15&rankBy=10001
              I've updated the hosts file, but now when i try to bring up the listener i receive an error stating the listener name is missing in the listener.ora file.
              Where is the listener.ora file located? Is it under $TNS_ADMIN directory?
              (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST) = oel63.localdomain)(PORT = 1576))
              Is "HOST)=" a typo? This line should look like:

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oel63.localdomain)(PORT = 1576))

Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: IP changed, unable to start listener
                Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                Russell H. wrote:
                Hi,
                Oracle Linux 6 on a VM, Windows 7 64-bit as the host
                The VM itself is still on the same machine/server, however the router it was on changed, and new IP ranges where assigned.
                Thinking about it now, i could have gotten the same IP, but now i've got a new one, and i cant remember the old IP that was assigned.

All i did was update the hosts file with the new IP.

Cheers,
                Russ H
                https://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=Change+AND+IP+AND+Address&objID=c3&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15&rankBy=10001
                https://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=Change+AND+IP+AND+Address+AND+FND_NODES&objID=c3&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15&rankBy=10001

Thanks,
                Hussein
                • 5. Re: IP changed, unable to start listener
                  Russell H.
                  Hi Hussein,
                  I took at look at $TNS_ADMIN at the listener file there. Totally different to the other listener file that i was looking at.
                  It had the listener as APPS_VIS with a different HOST and PORT.

Now got a few other issues to investigate. OPMN isnt starting and giving status 150's.

Cheers,
                  Russ.
                  • 6. Re: IP changed, unable to start listener
                    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                    Russell H. wrote:
                    Hi Hussein,
                    I took at look at $TNS_ADMIN at the listener file there. Totally different to the other listener file that i was looking at.
                    It had the listener as APPS_VIS with a different HOST and PORT.
                    Does this mean the listener issue is resolved?
                    Now got a few other issues to investigate. OPMN isnt starting and giving status 150's.
                    Please clean FND_NODES table then run AutoConfig on the database/application tier nodes and make sure it completes successfully.

Thanks,
                    Hussein
                    • 7. Re: IP changed, unable to start listener
                      Carlo den Otter-Oracle
                      Hello Russell,

Please check Note 412980.1 : "Oafm,Forms and Oacore Not Starting Up After IP Address Change"

Regards, Carlo.