This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2013 7:20 PM by Dude! RSS

dual  Boot Pre install Windows 7 with  oracle linux  on a dell laptop

Mahfuzur Rahman Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm new in linux. want to install oracle linux on my dell aptop. it has existing windows 7. how can i install oracle linux without affecting win 7 files.

is oracle linux can be install on laptop.
  • 1. Re: dual  Boot Pre install Windows 7 with  oracle linux  on a dell laptop
    Dude! Guru
    You cannot assume that Oracle Linux will run on your Laptop. Oracle Linux, like other RHEL derivatives, is designed for Enterprise server systems. Support for video, trackpad, power management and wireless will vary and most likely not be available. You can check the support page of your computer manufacturer to see what Linux distributions are supported.

I would not install dual-boot, which requires you to repartition or install another hard disk. Instead, run VirtualBox. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html
  • 2. Re: dual  Boot Pre install Windows 7 with  oracle linux  on a dell laptop
    966897 Newbie
    Dude wrote:
    You cannot assume that Oracle Linux will run on your Laptop. Oracle Linux, like other RHEL derivatives, is designed for Enterprise server systems. Support for video, trackpad, power management and wireless will vary and most likely not be available. You can check the support page of your computer manufacturer to see what Linux distributions are supported.

I would not install dual-boot, which requires you to repartition or install another hard disk. Instead, run VirtualBox. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html
    I don't know why your tone is SOOOOO NEGATIVE???!!!

I have successfully installed Oracle Linux, in a multiple (more than 3) boot configuration, on several of my own Windows 7 machines, the majority of them ran without any issue (knock on wood!). Actually I have also installed OL6.3 on several of my neighbors' machines. I have not heard any problems from them, either.

There are, however, serious hurdles that may be expected when trying to dual boot OL in a Windows 8 pre-installed machine, mainly because of the secure boot and UEFI issues. I decided not to spend any time on it because your tone regarding OL desktops has been so negative.

My advice to you is, since you have established such a reputation on this board, on issues that you don't have any knowledge or don't feel comfortable about, please just keep quiet. I don't think your job is to answer every question that has been posted on this board. Recklessly, or worse, knowingly, providing a wrong answer is much worse than no answer at all. Personally, I don't particularly appreciiate many of your responses to some of the questions that I posted. To me, your responses are rude, idiotic (and insults to my intelligence)!

If Oracle has any legal issues to discourage none-fee paying general public to use Oracle Linux desktop, just say it! Don't try to smoke the real issue. A lie is a lie is a lie.

You will never hear from me again, but, as a highly respected elder "spokesperson", you should watch your tone and think twice about how your comments may so adversely affect Oracle's reputation!
  • 3. Re: dual  Boot Pre install Windows 7 with  oracle linux  on a dell laptop
    Dude! Guru
    My advice to you is, since you have established such a reputation on this board, on issues that you don't have any knowledge or don't feel comfortable about, please just keep quiet. I don't think your job is to answer every question that has been posted on this board. Recklessly, or worse, knowingly, providing a wrong answer is much worse than no answer at all.
    These are serious personal accusations. Are you trying to make some noise to create some visibility for yourself? Please don't steal any of my limelight! ;-)
    Personally, I don't particularly appreciiate many of your responses to some of the questions that I posted. To me, your responses are rude, idiotic (and insults to my intelligence)!
    Sorry, I have no idea what makes you so upset. Are you just making this up? What questions and answers are you taking about?

Are you referring to this post: Ralink RT5390 Does Not Work on the UEK Kernel
    May I quote/remind you of your own posting:
    We installed OL6.3 and Ubuntu 12.04 on a new Asus X45A notebook. It has a Ralink RT5390 wireless card. With Ubuntu, both wifi and video work flawlessly. However, the wifi driver (from elrepo) does not work for the the uek kernel (2.6.39). While the wifi driver works when boot into the RHEL kernel (2.6.32), it created an "even bigger problem" in that the video starts at about 1/10 from the left edge of the screen.
    But again, please no one be fooled by my overly optimistic and simplistic comments*. The reality is, I am glad OL6 desktop works at all.
    * For example, I actually installed OL6 on 4 notebooks, one of them "does not work" because I couldn't dim the screen. I did not intend to lie, but subconsciously, I somewhat forgot that there was this failed case.
    So what are you really trying to tell us/me here?

I think you have shot yourself in the foot here. I'm afraid the best I can offer to you is to remove my response if you remove your post.
    User Profile for Ping-Wu
    Handle:      Ping-Wu
    Status Level:      Newbie
    Total Posts:      13
    Total Questions:      2 (2 unresolved)
    Name      Ping-Wu
    Location      Hawaii Linux
    Occupation      Attorney
    You will never hear from me again...
    Too bad ;-)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points