3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 2:20 AM by Benoît RSS

Single agent vs. multiple agents to export/deliver the bi analysis report

user555994
      Hello BI Guru's/Expert,

I am new to bi and have couple of queries -
      Have specific requirement where we have 200+ reports and want to export the reports to certain location as on need basis so to have a solution for the same -

1- Do we need to create 200+ agents (one for every single report) and then another agent (parent) on top of 200+ agents so that we run the parent agent and it will deliver the reports?
      Or within a single agent can we mention the set of reports which need to be delivered?

2- Can we export the analysis output in particular format (say pdf/excel) to certain network drive location? Or is it possible to deliver the output in the form of mail only?

3- Is there any other way provided within BI to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for your time and effort.......
        • 1. Re: Single agent vs. multiple agents to export/deliver the bi analysis report
          Benoît
          Hi,

As you select the name of the report or dashboard page in the delivery module, you must create 200+ agent (I don't think you could configure only one agent) and you schedule it at your convenience - so you don't create an agent (parent).

In each agent, you can export the result as Excel, PDF, MHTML and I you want to save the result on the network, you must add a script (Javascript, Java) in your agent. You could find some example on the net.

With OBIEE, maybe you can use the OBIEE API but I think that Deliver is the best tool on OBIEE for your requirements.

Regards,

Benoit
          • 2. Re: Single agent vs. multiple agents to export/deliver the bi analysis report
            user555994
            Hello Benoît,

Thanks for reply and input.
            I have to run these reports on frequent interval (or say as on need basis) and using a specific timing won't be a good idea. So that’s why i was thinking of to create 200 + agents and on top of that 1 parent agent which will call the rest of the 200+ agents.
            Is there any issue with this approach?
            Sure i will take a look at the Javascript/Java code which will help me in saving the file to a particular network location. But where to use this java code while creating the agent?

Kindly help as i am not very familiar with OBIEE tool......

All help and input are welcome and i am thankful to you all in advance.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Single agent vs. multiple agents to export/deliver the bi analysis report
              Benoît
              Hi,

you can see this site to have an overview on how to save the result of an agent on the file system : http://total-bi.com/2011/08/obiee-export-reports/
              So in your case you could :
              - create an agent per report. When you want to save the file on the file system, you use the tab Action (invoke Server script)
              - create an agent (parent) which will invoke another agent (previously created). I don't know if you can invoke multiple Agent in a parent Agent - I never test it. Another way is described in the OBIEE User's guide :
              +"Invoke Agent — Invokes another agent. This action type lets you chain agents. For example, you can have Agent A invoke Agent B, which invokes Agent C and so on."+

Hope it helps you.

Regards,

Benoit