This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 3:48 PM by bigdelboy RSS

This is bull..

BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
Currently Being Moderated
.. user https://forums.oracle.com/forums/profile.jspa?userID=952168 spamming each and every fricken forum with a sticky post.

And no, I don't give a ratsass that he has ""approval" and is an Oracle employee.

This subverts what moderators do (trying hard to keep OTN spam free), subverts the terms of service (some spam is now more equal than other spam). And damages the spirit and intent of OTN - technical community forums where volunteers provide their expertise and knowledge for free to Oracle users and customers.

I am totally disgusted by this.

Edited by: brwalke_us on Feb 4, 2013 8:46 AM
  • 1. Re: This is bull..
    P.Forstmann Guru
    + 1

• 2. Re: This is bull..
    bigdelboy Pro
    I dont see this in every forum ... but I do see it in quite a few.

I could possibly see a sensible post in the cloud forums and possibly database forums .... but I'd really want to see a big non mindless non sales text appropriate for techies using the forums.

The poster has no providence ....

A biography that includes term like: ( accessed at time if this post}

Location      Redwood City, CA <<= Ok this means Oracle.
    Occupation      DJ <<= This may be true ... but it doesn't look impressive for someone with no providence.
    Biography      poke <<= Just what the hell is this !!

The totality of all this is abuse! looks tacky and non-professional ..... and IMHO treats forum users like trash!

.... add me to the protest list!

Edited by: bigdelboy on Feb 2, 2013 1:20 PM ... PS: The handle MelB is scary spice ... arguably reference to an opiate! ... It is possible the employee and direcrot may have breached the Oracle Handbook and could be subject to an ehtics breach report.

• 3. Re: This is bull..
    6363 Guru
    Try Oracle Cloud, indeed?

You know what would be a great advertisement for Oracle Cloud and all its features, such as Engaging Customers and Collaboration and its ease of use and implementation - The Simplicity Of The Cloud, if you like?

Running these forums on it instead of spamming them.

Otherwise it just focuses the mind on the fact that if it isn't so simple for Oracle then it is probably going to be a lot worse for anyone unsuspecting enough to fall for it.

Edited by: brwalke_us on Feb 4, 2013 8:47 AM
  • 4. Re: This is bull..
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Why weren't those spam announcements created to be self-expiring?
    Is anyone tasked with removing them once the glitter of "everything needs to be done in *+The Cloud+*" becomes passé ?

It's utterly inappropriate to plaster them to all those forums.
    If someone is curious about the subject, they're more likely to investigate it at a corporate home page than deep into the header of some discussion forum, somewhere. Additionally, if someone is already familiar with the forums, they already know that there are Cloud-specific sub-forums (which are pitifully inactive) that they can go to to seek information.

I put this same response into the other thread, as well:
    Occupation DJ?

Edited by: brwalke_us on Feb 4, 2013 8:47 AM
  • 5. Re: This is bull..
    BrianW-Oracle Guru Moderator
    I have relayed all feedback on this to the community manager. Also edited the title of this discussion.
  • 6. Re: This is bull..
    jgarry Guru
    3360 wrote:
    Try Oracle Cloud, indeed?

You know what would be a great advertisement for Oracle Cloud and all its features, such as Engaging Customers and Collaboration and its ease of use and implementation - The Simplicity Of The Cloud, if you like?

Running these forums on it instead of spamming them.
    I hate it when people put my nightmares into apparently reasonable suggestions. ;-)
  • 7. Re: This is bull..
    Brian W - Oracle Mod wrote:
    I have relayed all feedback on this to the community manager.
    Thanks.
    Also edited the title of this discussion.
    Hahaha... :D

Always found it funny how selective the morality censor filter is on OTN. Can't talk about Tom, Dick and Harry - but talking bs is just fine. ;-)
  • 8. Re: This is bull..
    bigdelboy Pro
    .... No .... this really is bull: http://www.bull.co.uk/locations/hemel.html ... ;-)

... Mind you arriving at the page: https://cloud.oracle.com/mycloud/f?p=service:home:0 makes me feel like I have arrived at some crowded railway station in some random Capital city ... knowing I might really like to do some sightseeing ... plenty of offerings but no clear immediate trustworthy simple basic guidance ... I'm sure it's there .... but I'm not immediately wishing to commit to a one of 30 day trial of something .... and plenty of apparent hype portals. And I'm sure I am being unfair. But I haven't spotted link tha would give me a basic practical overview without the hype!

..... Anyway thankyou Brian W for passing on the feedback.
  • 9. Re: This is bull..
    sonyabarry Guru Moderator
    Well. I didn't think my first post as community manager would be this one. :)

I apologize for how this was handled. Mel is a good guy and was only following orders to the best of his ability. I'm still learning this infrastructure (and prepping to massively upgrade it, announcements coming shortly) and wasn't aware of how exactly those banners were going to be placed. By comparison, on Java.net (the other site I manage), it's on the upper right of the home page which makes a little more sense to me. As part of the upgrade here I'll work on getting a better space in the template to place small banners/buttons like this when we need to have them. I'm not sure how long this is expected to run. I'll check with the Powers That Be and find out for you.

Again, apologies and a promise to do it differently next time, if it needs to be done.

Sonya Barry
    Doesn't Officially Have A Title Yet
  • 10. Re: This is bull..
    sonyabarry wrote:
    Well. I didn't think my first post as community manager would be this one. :)
    Oh - sorry about that. First days in a new job is not suppose to be like this. Community manager is a bit like of being the fire extinguisher while dealing with the OTN user cloud... ;-)
    I'm still learning this infrastructure (and prepping to massively upgrade it, announcements coming shortly) and wasn't aware of how exactly those banners were going to be placed.
    We have heard about The Big Forum Upgrade - and looking forward to it. (assuming you are talking about the new OTN forum infrastructure?)
    By comparison, on Java.net (the other site I manage), it's on the upper right of the home page which makes a little more sense to me.
    What the community appreciates the most if, instead of a banner or sticky posting, the relevant staff participate in answering questions, explaining basics, providing links to documentation and support notes, and so on. That has a far more meaningful impact than a sticky posting (usually reserved for dealing with forum FAQ and rules) that is basically advertising. It works very well - the Oracle Linux forum especially comes to mind as one I often frequent and have read and received clear answers from Oracle staff that are knowledgeable and passionate about their product.
    Again, apologies and a promise to do it differently next time, if it needs to be done.
    Really appreciate the time taken for responding and having an open mind of how to deal with this in future. Thanks.
  • 11. Re: This is bull..
    sonyabarry Guru Moderator
    Thanks, Billy.

I've been working with Brian on this since November, but trying to stay quietly behind the scenes while we work out what needs to be cleaned up (A LOT), and working on building out the new forums while trying to get the migration path figured out. I think we're close to announcing a migration date. I'll say April at the absolute earliest right now. We're still working out the bugs and that could slip farther, so take that with a big grain of salt.

Also, to those who were questioning Mel's name. His real name is, in fact, Mel B., and he does DJ in his spare time. If you met him in person I am confident that you wouldn't mistake him for a spice girl. :)

With that, I'll post an intro thread and step out from behind the curtain officially.
  • 12. Re: This is bull..
    bigdelboy Pro
    sonyabarry wrote:

..... Also, to those who were questioning Mel's name ....
    I guess that will be me .... oh dear .... I suppose I had better apologise.

.... Any good to note he has now got an appropriate title on his page ... (though he has lost the DJ bit ... as for me I've been a DJ since a nipper, though the wife also is an occasional DJ .... ) give's him a bit of authority and providence I think.

Anyway you guys on community do a great job.

Whatever you do don't implement the new forum on April's Fool's day!

As a side effect of this .... I suppose it has sort of worked for me .... I've sort of avoided the cloud up till now .... a relational database is bad enough for me where I lose data in a structured manner ... a cloud seems like a place where I'd put data to be lost forever in the fog. Whenever I drive into a cloud I have a heighen fear factor .... and whenever someone flies me into one in an airplane it gets a bit bumpy ... and the things rain down on me and soak me to death. So I don't like clouds I don't.

Anyway I visited http://cloud.oracle.com and I don't like the homepage. Took me ages to notice the resources menu. Perhaps I am a luddite. Also looked up the cloud certifications offerings in more detail as I often answer questions there so I should perhaps know some basic pointers.

Anyway I put the following post in the cloud general forum to suggest the skeleton for a better sticky post to point to resources: {thread:id=2495246} ... my attempt to be a little positive.

... Anyway apologies to Mel ..... hope he hasn't felt too beat up on this ;-).