This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 8:52 AM by Neimad RSS

Installing Oracle to learn Oracle Forms and Oracle Reports?

Neimad Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Everyone!

i would like to be more familiar with Oracle database 11g R2 product.

What you suggest me to learn on Oracle Forms and Oracle Reports builder?

My system is Windows 8 Pro, but i can use linux as Virtual Machine.

For now, i have tried to install Oracle on my windows, and i got always an error like unreconized operating system.
So, i choose Linux Fedora 18 to try if it works.
But after followed the documentation on this oracle website to install Oracle Database i get a tmp directory size problem.. required 1G for the tmp directory but fedora define 900 M so i can't install Oracle too on Fedora.

I have a OSX system i can try. but i need to know first of all why i can't install Oracle database on my windows or linux system.

someone can help me with installation?

Does i can learn Forms Builder and Reports from Oracle free version?

thanks for informations about installation.

Edited by: Neimad on 2013-02-02 15:20
  • 1. Re: Installing Oracle to learn Oracle Forms and Oracle Reports?
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Use Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.7 or 5.8 in the VM, and use Virtualbox for the VM itself. Pl see my blog (linked in my profile) for detailed steps on how to install 11gR2 in a OEL VM running on Windows.

There is also a pre-built VM available here - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html#dbapp - but it does not have Forms/Reports. In either case, you will have to install these separately.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E38115_01/index.htm

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Installing Oracle to learn Oracle Forms and Oracle Reports?
    EdStevens Guru
    Neimad wrote:
    Hi Everyone!

i would like to be more familiar with Oracle database 11g R2 product.

What you suggest me to learn on Oracle Forms and Oracle Reports builder?

My system is Windows 8 Pro, but i can use linux as Virtual Machine.

For now, i have tried to install Oracle on my windows, and i got always an error like unreconized operating system.
    Windows 8 is not yet supported.

The supported versions of Windows are listed in the "Oracle® Database Installation Guide 11g Release 2 (11.2) for Microsoft Windows", under "2.2 Oracle Database Software Requirements", located [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24186/reqs.htm#CHDHGGFE]here
    So, i choose Linux Fedora 18 to try if it works.
    Fedora is not supported.

The supported versions of Linux are listed in the "Oracle® Database Installation Guide 11g Release 2 (11.2) for Linux", under "2.4.1 Operating System Requirements", located [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/pre_install.htm#CHDFFBIF]here
    But after followed the documentation on this oracle website to install Oracle Database i get a tmp directory size problem.. required 1G for the tmp directory but fedora define 900 M so i can't install Oracle too on Fedora.
    You can't install on Fedora because it is not a supported OS (I'm sure some people have hacked an installation).

As for "fedora define 900 M" .. as the systems admin (and on this system you ARE the systems admin) you have control over that ... just as you will when you use a supported version of Linux.
    >
    I have a OSX system i can try. but i need to know first of all why i can't install Oracle database on my windows or linux system.
    You can't install on your Windows or Linux systems because you are using unsupported versions of both.

>
    someone can help me with installation?
    First advice: Use a supported OS. Use Oracle Linux. It is supported. It is free. There is really no reason to use any other Linux to run Oracle products.
    Second advice: read and heed the appropriate Installation Guide, especially the chapter on Prerequisites. That will list all of the hardware and software prereqs. They are listed for a reason. In the section on supported OS, if an OS you are considering is NOT listed, then it is NOT SUPPORTED.

Does i can learn Forms Builder and Reports from Oracle free version?
    The free versions are the same as the 'paid' versions. The limitation is in the license agreement, not the code.
    thanks for informations about installation.

Edited by: Neimad on 2013-02-02 15:20
  • 3. Re: Installing Oracle to learn Oracle Forms and Oracle Reports?
    Neimad Newbie
    Thanks for your help Sini Chavali, it's worked, but not up-to-date for the OS, i will work on that!

But for now, i can start working of learning Oracle!

thanks again!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points