This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 6:20 AM by marksmithusa RSS

Segment Advisor in 11g

marksmithusa Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
I have recently enabled the Segment Advisor in my 11gR2 Exadata database (automated maintenance tasks were disabled when we first went live).

I have it running for 3.5 hours a night at the moment. Obviously, this is not enough to complete analysis of a 22Tb database in one night, but my question is whether it will continue where it was stopped the previous night or whether it will attempt to start again at the beginning.

It's run about five times so far, but has only analyzed one tablespace. I suspect I'm being unrealistically impatient and its just taking a while to get through one tablespace, but am worried that it will be stuck analyzing the same part of the database forevermore without my intervention...
  • 1. Re: Segment Advisor in 11g
    baskar.l Pro
    Hi,
    I have it running for 3.5 hours a night at the moment. Obviously, this is not enough to complete analysis of a 22Tb database in one night, but my question is whether it will continue where it was stopped the previous night or whether it will attempt to start again at the beginning. 
    It doesnt analyze every database objects . Can you please check this Automatic Segment Advisory in "http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10595/schema003.htm"

thank you,
    baskar.l
  • 2. Re: Segment Advisor in 11g
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    Thanks for the link. It does indeed infer that the Segment Advisor does not start at the beginning again and continues where it left off:

"If an object is selected for analysis but the maintenance window expires before the Segment Advisor can process the object, the object is included in the next Automatic Segment Advisor run."

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points