2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 3:13 AM by asahide RSS

Oracle database 10g Express Edition

user151917
      Oracle database 10g Express Edition

I need to install "Oracle database 10g Express Edition" with different database name example dev but it is taking
      default name that is XE and there is no option come during installation where i can put the name of database as per my desire.

And also explain why we use "Oracle database 10g Express Edition" instead of Oracle database 10g. what is the meaning of Express Edition.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Oracle database 10g Express Edition
          asahide
          Hello,

HTH
          <<http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0%3a%3a%3a%3aP11_QUESTION_ID:963124000346653522>>

Regards,
          • 2. Re: Oracle database 10g Express Edition
            Udo
            Hello,
            I need to install "Oracle database 10g Express Edition" with different database name example dev but it is taking
            default name that is XE and there is no option come during installation where i can put the name of database as per my desire.
            First, note that you can't install more than one instance of XE per server. Changing the instance name won't help you with that.
            As you've already found out, the installer always creates a database instance with default names. That's part of the "Express" concept: As little configuration as necessary to get a Oracle Database installed with just a few clicks. The second advantage is, that you can also simplify the documentation, as you can forget about several aspects when you don't have to configure them...
            Since you don't have tools like dbca in XE, your only option would be to rename the database once it's created. There are a few threads on that topic in this forum, e. g. {thread:id=403056}.

But before you start working on that, could you explain why exactly you have to use a different database/instance name?
            And also explain why we use "Oracle database 10g Express Edition" instead of Oracle database 10g. what is the meaning of Express Edition.
            Why and how should we answer why you picked a certain edition? The most likely cause is license costs: XE is available for free, all others are just free as long as you use the OTN license...
            For an overview, there is a [url http://www.oracle.com/us/products/database/enterprise-edition/comparisons/index.html]Comparison Matrix for Oracle Database Editions.
            I'd furthermore ask why you still use 10g XE instead of the current 11g XE?

-Udo