6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 2:35 AM by 988901 RSS

Disable all skins

Is it possible to disable all skins in Oracle Webcenter Portal, 11g?

I get about 300kb of css as default. I don't want to use any of the default css since I'd like to write my own css.

I've tried to extend the "empty" skin without success. Also I've tried to extend a non existing skin with the result just getting the default skin anyway.

I'm looking for a way to disable all skins, and use a css in the Web content folder instead.

Any ideas?

Edited by: 985898 on 2013-feb-04 01:12

Edited by: 985898 on 2013-feb-04 01:17
        • 1. Re: Disable all skins
          Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
          You can administer skins in the admin console: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21764_01/webcenter.1111/e12405/wcadm_admin_apps.htm#r5c1-t8

There always has to be a default skin, but you might be able to replace it with your own (just read through the whole chapter).
          • 2. Re: Disable all skins
            Thanks for the reply.

The problem is as you describe, "There always has to be a default skin". When I create my own skin I have to extend one of the default skins provided by Oracle. If I don't extend my skin the default skin will be extended automatically.

The only solution I know of to get rid of the skins, is to override the extended skins selectors with -tr-inhibit: all;

The extended default skins contains about 26 000 rows of code.

So the question remains. Is there a way to disable skins?
            • 3. Re: Disable all skins
              Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
              Do you use Spaces or your own portal app?

For portal app you could try to adjust the default skin in the JDev IDE. I think the first question to ask is why the default skin has 26K lines.

Anyway, this link provides info on how to create and use a skin in your app: http://web-center-suite.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/create-webcenter-portal-custom-skin.html

And this http://www.johnbrunswick.com/2012/05/webcenter-portal-template-design-best-practices/ how to tame the beast.
              • 4. Re: Disable all skins
                I don't use Spaces.

I do also wonder why there is 26k lines in the default skin.

The links you provided does not describe how to disable skins.

I have tried to adjust the default skin in the JDev IDE with no success to inactivate them.

So the question remain unsolved...
                • 5. Re: Disable all skins
                  Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
                  The links you provided does not describe how to disable skins.
                  No, the other just describes how to adjust it.
                  I do also wonder why there is 26k lines in the default skin.
                  There is a sentence: "ADF uses a concept called Skin Selectors to associate styles with particular ADF components." I read it as before you disable something (a skin selector), you should be aware of what gets broken. Note that if you allow customizations/personalizations via Composer you might not know in ahead which components will users add to their pages in runtime.
                  • 6. Re: Disable all skins
                    There is a sentence: "ADF uses a concept called Skin Selectors to associate styles with particular ADF components." I read it as before you disable something (a skin selector), you should be aware of what gets broken. Note that if you allow customizations/personalizations via Composer you might not know in ahead which components will users add to their pages in runtime.
                    I'm aware of that and I still want to disable all skins. Does anyone know if that's possible or not?