This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 10:50 AM by matthew_morris RSS

is the future NoSQL? Oracle RDBMS downwards?

Philippe Ludwig Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I invest a lot of free time in preparation for "Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Associate" and "SQL Certified Expert".
  • 1. Re: is the future NoSQL? Oracle RDBMS downwards?
    bigdelboy Pro
    Philippe Ludwig wrote:
    I invest a lot of free time in preparation for "Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Associate" and "SQL Certified Expert".
    Those exams really tough, but I am willing to learn.

I wish to use the gained know how for at least 35 years!

I attended an Open Source conference and those presenters said that NoSQL is the future.
    They said nobody will use proprietary RDBMS in about 10 years.

That's really bad news. Will my know how be useless in 10 years?
    Well I generally expect to 'relearn' 30-50%' of what i know every 3- to 5 years. In other words 30% of what I know has become obsolete .... and I have to increase what I know by 30% to keep up.

.... And as for you 11g DBA OCA .... that will be "obsoleted" by 12c in a small number of days .... ;-)

The relational database has its limitations. There are things its good at ... there are things it isn't. Larry already has loads of databases under stewardship .... NoSQL, 'Classic', MySQL, RDB, BerkleyDB .... and if he needs another he will no doubt acquire it.

Some things come, become hot, then disappear forever (e.g. Oracle Powerobjects). Other things survive the test of time. Perhaps 12c will become too big and bloated; though actually its the totality of the complexity of the total stack that scares me.

... Anyway perhaps the Certification Team will give you a new NoSQL track to certify against.

Otherwise off you go to PostgreSQL
  • 2. Re: is the future NoSQL? Oracle RDBMS downwards?
    matthew_morris Expert
    I wish to use the gained know how for at least 35 years!
    You are in the wrong industry. In the IT field, 35 years is an eternity. Going back 35 years from today would be 1977. The PC doesn't exist. It's a mainframe world.

You should become a geologist. Rocks don't change much. Geologists think in terms of 100,000 years and up.

I attended an Open Source conference and those presenters said that NoSQL is the future.
    I went to a Honda dealership a few weeks ago. They said Toyotas are passe and Hondas are the future...

If anyone at an OpenSource conference said anything but that... it would be because they brought the wrong notes for their speech.

They said nobody will use proprietary RDBMS in about 10 years.
    Very Very Very unlikely. Companies that use Oracle tend to have enterprise-class databases. They have a huge investment in technology and personnel and time in their current system. You don't just decide one day to throw all of that away and change to something completely different. I can't really say what reasons your lecturers gave to suggest that they would because I wasn't there. However, when you have millions of dollars invested in a system, there has to be a compelling reason to change. Heck -- there are still businesses using systems developed in COBOL of all things because of legacy investment in it.

That's really bad news. Will my know how be useless in 10 years?
    Maybe. If the Mayans put out an updated calendar that says the world will end in 2023.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points