This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 6, 2013 11:42 PM by 994845 RSS

Can not install 64bit instant client 11.2.0.3

989086 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am running Windows 7 64 bit version and unable to install the ODBC 64 bit driver in instant client. Help!!

I downloaded the two zip files (instantclient-basic-windows.x64-11.2.0.3.0.zip, instantclient-odbc-windows.x64-11.2.0.3.0.zip),
extracted to C:\OracleClient64. Then copied my tnsnames.ora file into that directory.
I then set TNS_ADMIN and ORACLE_HOME to have C:\OracleClient64 and added the directory to PATH too.
However, when I double click on odbc_install.exe it briefly runs a cmd window.
If I run the program from a CMD prompt, I get the message "Oracle ODBC Driver with same name already exists."

Running the uninstall gives the error about a problem while deleting the registry key.
I initially had SQL Server (64 bit) with just SSMS and not really anything else. I tried uninstalling that. odbc_install.exe still failed.
I deleted the HKLM/Software/ODBC registry entry and subnodes. I just have HKLM/Software/Oracle with TNS_ADMIN and ORACLE_HOME.

What am I missing???? I am trying to create a 64 instant client with 64bit ODBC so I can use my 64 bit Python with the 64bit pyodbc library.

Any ideas on how to get the oracle odbc for 64bit to install? By the way, before I deleted the registry entries under Software/ODBC, I could see the SQL Server 64 bit drivers in the Data Sources (ODBC) control panel app. Now those are gone of course after removing the registry entries that they depend on.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Patrick Champion
  • 1. Re: Can not install 64bit instant client 11.2.0.3
    994845 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi!

What you did is correct,

To install odbc you just have to copy the files inside instantclient-odbc-windows.x64-11.2.0.3.0.zip to C:\OracleClient64 as you already did.

When you run odbc_install.exe it popup a cmd prompt for very short period of time. It´s fine.

What it does is to create the values you saw in the registry, an thats why if you run it a second time it said that already exist. With that, you have installed odbc, now you can test it following this link:

http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/8.0/projects_and_teams/connect_to_oracle_via_odbc.html

Hope it helps

Regards

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points