This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 12:17 AM by 802349 RSS

Get UI from running Java console

802349 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
My task is to create a Java program which runs indefinitely on a server. Only 1 Instance of the program is allowed. The program is accessible by multiple users. The interaction with the Java program is supposed to be with a Swing UI.

The question: When the Java program is running and I log in as different user (or even as the same), how can I get the Java program to show me the Swing UI for program interaction (e. g. alter settings)?

Thank you very much for your help!
  • 1. Re: Get UI from running Java console
    Kayaman Guru
    user8995776 wrote:
    My task is to create a Java program which runs indefinitely on a server. Only 1 Instance of the program is allowed. The program is accessible by multiple users. The interaction with the Java program is supposed to be with a Swing UI.

The question: When the Java program is running and I log in as different user (or even as the same), how can I get the Java program to show me the Swing UI for program interaction (e. g. alter settings)?
    That's a client-server application. The server side won't have any GUI (well, can, but it doesn't need one).

I recommend the services of Google for more information.
  • 2. Re: Get UI from running Java console
    802349 Newbie
    nvm, found a solution here:

http://www.rbgrn.net/content/43-java-single-application-instance

I just call the same program again. If it's already running I use frame.setVisible(true) to make the gui visible.

If someone knows a better approach, please let me know. Thanks!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points