11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2013 7:02 AM by EdStevens RSS

Error INstalling Oracle 11g on Windows8 64 bit

Hkag
      Hi Geeks,

I have windows 8 64 bit sony Via system.
      I want to install oracle 11g on it.

I have downloaded the setup in my E:\Oracle 11g setup.

Now I get two folder post unzipping the two archivwe files

E:\Oracle 11g setup\win64_11gR2_database_1of2\
      E:\Oracle 11g setup\win64_11gR2_database_2of2

Now the doubt that I have is there are database folder in each of the two folder , so is it necessary to copy and paste database folder from second directory I,e *"E:\Oracle 11g setup\win64_11gR2_database_2of2"* into the first directory...for continuing with the installation ???????????

Please respond
        • 1. Re: Error INstalling Oracle 11g on Windows8 64 bit
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          Currently, Win 8 is not a supported OS to install any Oracle software. You will have to use a supported OS - or install a VM on your Win 8 machine and then install 11gR2 in the VM

HTH
          Srini
          • 3. Re: Error INstalling Oracle 11g on Windows8 64 bit
            Krishna-Oracle
            Hi,
            As srini said, windows 8 is not yet certified
            You can install it on windows 7 or other supported versions.
            11.2 is supported on OS versions and minimum levels:
            Windows XP
            Windows 7
            Windows Vista
            Windows 2003
            Windows 2003 R2
            Windows 2008
            Windows 2008 R2

Please unzip the files in the same folder
            When you unzip first zip, it will create database folder, when unzip second one, it will place files in the existing database folder
            Do not extract files in different folders

Thanks,
            Krishna
            • 4. Re: Error INstalling Oracle 11g on Windows8 64 bit
              Helios-GunesEROL
              Hi;

As mention here home OS not supported, so as mention here again if you make some googling you can find link&blog which is mention to create WM machine, install linux(you can use OEL linux which is free and can be download from e-delivery site) than you can make 11g installation on it

Regard
              Helios
              • 5. Re: Error INstalling Oracle 11g on Windows8 64 bit
                Hkag
                Thanks Guys for your response..I have managed to install 11g on my system and runnig the queries succesfully now..

What i did is :

1] Created a new folder "oracle Install".
                2]ctrl+ selected both the zip files i had downloaded from Oracle site and then uncompressed them into "oracle Install".
                3] then ran the setup from Oracle Install...

while doing this process also i got warning lime system dosent meets the requirements....but continued with the installation and it ran succesfully...

what was different this time was previously when i had not done above 3 steps installation would fail saying some of the .dll files not found...but after this approach no file not found issues came...

Lucky to have it installed ...

Would want to install a VM ware on my system and then Linux OS..then try installing Oracle on it too..
                • 6. Re: Error INstalling Oracle 11g on Windows8 64 bit
                  Srini Chavali-Oracle
                  Pl see my blog (linked in my profile) for detailed steps on how to install a VM on Windows, install Linux in the VM, then install 11gR2 on Linux VM

HTH
                  Srini
                  • 7. Re: Error INstalling Oracle 11g on Windows8 64 bit
                    EdStevens
                    Hkag wrote:
                    Thanks Guys for your response..I have managed to install 11g on my system and runnig the queries succesfully now..

What i did is :

1] Created a new folder "oracle Install".
                    2]ctrl+ selected both the zip files i had downloaded from Oracle site and then uncompressed them into "oracle Install".
                    3] then ran the setup from Oracle Install...

while doing this process also i got warning lime system dosent meets the requirements....but continued with the installation and it ran succesfully...

what was different this time was previously when i had not done above 3 steps installation would fail saying some of the .dll files not found...but after this approach no file not found issues came...

Lucky to have it installed ...
                    If you consider it lucky to be running on an certified OS, where every issue you may run into will mean having to hack your own solution.

When IBM upgraded their COBOL to COBOL-85 they warned that - due to very tight linkages between the compiler and the OS - if we remained with the older compiler "everything will continue to work as before, until such time as it doesn't".

I'd say that's a very close analogy, and for exactly the same reasons. Tight linkage between the product and the OS. You hacked an installation, so things will work .... until such time as they don't.

Would want to install a VM ware on my system and then Linux OS..then try installing Oracle on it too..
                    • 8. Re: Error INstalling Oracle 11g on Windows8 64 bit
                      Has anyone tried running Oracle 11g on a surface? If so, did you use the same work around as noted above? I tried to load without the work around and received the dll error.
                      • 9. Re: Error INstalling Oracle 11g on Windows8 64 bit
                        Srini Chavali-Oracle
                        Not a supported OS, as noted above, so not a surprise that you are running into issues

Srini
                        • 10. Re: Error INstalling Oracle 11g on Windows8 64 bit
                          Hkag
                          Well just wondering those two .dll which are not found while installing for those people who get the error..can that be seperately downloaded and put intyo the path ..may be that would do ?
                          • 11. Re: Error INstalling Oracle 11g on Windows8 64 bit
                            EdStevens
                            user5530682 wrote:
                            Has anyone tried running Oracle 11g on a surface?
                            Why would anyone WANT to? Even for personal education? One of the basic assumptions of running a multi-user database is that it is run on a server ... not on an eye-candy-based consumer appliance. With my Win7 Home personal laptop -- and even my Win 7 Pro office machine -- I install Virtual Box and run personal 'sandbox' databases on a server-class OS -- Oracle Linux or Win Server 2003.

As for even personal computers, "Surface"/Win8 may be the last straw for me. The last time I bought a laptop for personal use I looked long and hard at Apple, but just couldn't justify the price differential. I refused to put MS Office on it, and am quite happy with Open Office. But with the direction of Win8 (more eye-candy -- flash over substance) my next computer is most likely going to be Apple in spite of the price.

If so, did you use the same work around as noted above? I tried to load without the work around and received the dll error.