2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 3:02 PM by 988139 RSS

Dynamic HTML Filters

Hello,

Is it possible to create filters for a report dynamically, but what I mean is this, my database has the following row in a table:

FILTER_ID FILTER_NAME FILTER_TYPE FILTER_QUERY

1 MyList SELECT LIST SELECT * FROM table1

I know it sounds strange but is it possible that in any way I could load this information and create html filters from this.

For instance, I load the first row and it says I need t create a select list called MyList that it will load values with the specific query from the filter_query column.

I just want to know if it is possible, if it is maybe have some info of where to start researching, if it is not possible just to know to ensure it is not possible.

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Dynamic HTML Filters
          fac586
          >

Please update your forum profile with a real handle instead of "985136".
          Is it possible to create filters for a report dynamically, but what I mean is this, my database has the following row in a table:

FILTER_ID FILTER_NAME FILTER_TYPE FILTER_QUERY

1 MyList SELECT LIST SELECT * FROM table1

I know it sounds strange but is it possible that in any way I could load this information and create html filters from this.

For instance, I load the first row and it says I need t create a select list called MyList that it will load values with the specific query from the filter_query column.

I just want to know if it is possible, if it is maybe have some info of where to start researching, if it is not possible just to know to ensure it is not possible.
          Yes, this is possible using the <tt>apex_item</tt> API, specifically the <tt>select_list_from_query*</tt> methods. These methods could be used in a report or dynamic PL/SQL region to generate items whose values are used as filters in other reports. The values of <tt>apex_item</tt>-generated items are returned and processed using arrays<tt>apex_application.g_fxx</tt> arrays.

-----

When you have a problem you'll get a faster, more effective response by including as much relevant information as possible upfront. This should include:

<li>Full APEX version
          <li>Full DB/version/edition/host OS
          <li>Web server architecture (EPG, OHS or APEX listener/host OS)
          <li>Browser(s) and version(s) used
          <li>Theme
          <li>Template(s)
          <li>Region/item type(s) (making particular distinction as to whether a "report" is a standard report, an interactive report, or in fact an "updateable report" (i.e. a tabular form)

With APEX we're also fortunate to have a great resource in apex.oracle.com where we can reproduce and share problems. Reproducing things there is the best way to troubleshoot most issues, especially those relating to layout and visual formatting. If you expect a detailed answer then it's appropriate for you to take on a significant part of the effort by getting as far as possible with an example of the problem on apex.oracle.com before asking for assistance with specific issues, which we can then see at first hand.
          • 2. Re: Dynamic HTML Filters
            Thanks I will check that.

I already updated my handle but I think it takes a couple of hours to update.

Thanks for your help.