This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 6:50 AM by Michael Ferrante (Oracle) RSS

how to make Oracle Developer Suite use different Oracle client version

no_id_i_need Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
I have installed Oracle Developer Suite 10g (9.0.4) on Win7 32bit
When I run Oracle Forms or Oracle Reports or any DB tool (like SQL Navigator or PL/SQL Developer) and trying to connect to remote Oracle DB 10g (10.2.0.5.0) I get an error ORA-02248: invalid option for ALTER SESSION.
Then I've installed Oracle Instant Client 10.1.0.4.0 and made DB tools use this client and error was gone, but I still get that error using Forms and Reports.

So my qustion is, can I make Oracle Forms and Reports use any other Oracle Client but that was installed with Oracle Developer Suite? Or any other suggestions are welcome how to fix connection issue in Forms and Reports?

I have read many threads and some suggested to set NLS_LANG. Done that, but it didn't help :(
  • 1. Re: how to make Oracle Developer Suite use different Oracle client version
    Christian Erlinger Guru
    If it were possible to change the oracle client version for forms this most likely would cause some other serious problems. Are you able to connect to a different database with a lower version without the error?
    If not the NLS_LANG is not the only NLS setting you can screw up ;)

I'd check with v$nls_valid_values if you set a value wrong for your forms oracle home.

cheers
  • 2. Re: how to make Oracle Developer Suite use different Oracle client version
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    The better question is why are you trying to use an obsolete Oracle product on such a new OS and expecting it to work properly? Are you also using MS Office 95 on this machine? Attempting to hack a solution is fine if you are just learning to use a product or just playing around. However, I would never recommend attempting to do what you are doing.

Oracle Forms 9.x was desupported years ago, long before Windows 7 was released. Trying to use it in this manner is risky at best and not something that should be done in a professional environment. If you are a student or just home user trying to learn on your own, I would recommend that you use a virtualization product like Oracle Virtual Box and create a vm of an older OS. For example XP, then install on that platform. If you are a licensed user of Win 7 Pro or higher, I believe Microsoft is still giving away (for free) "XP Mode". Details here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points