3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 7:46 AM by 800839 RSS

Create Index for which column & Clustered Index usage

Hi,

For which column(s) it is better to create index? normally we create index for primary key column which is more oftenly used in the "where" clause. If i have to create an index apart from the PK column which column i can create index? When i need to go for clustered index? Please clarify.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Create Index for which column & Clustered Index usage
          797836 wrote:
          Hi,

For which column(s) it is better to create index? normally we create index for primary key column
          An index is required for a primary key column.
          If i have to create an index apart from the PK column which column i can create index?
          You can create an index on any column. Using your knowledge of your data and the queries and applications would help you to choose the right column.
          When i need to go for clustered index?
          When you are using Microsoft SQL Server.
          • 2. Re: Create Index for which column & Clustered Index usage
            Thanks. But creating index for too many columns can be a problem. Hence finding the right columns for index should be done based on which criteria?
            In Oracle whether we should not use Clustered Index?
            • 3. Re: Create Index for which column & Clustered Index usage
              797836 wrote:
              Hence finding the right columns for index should be done based on which criteria?
              If i have to create an index apart from the PK column which column i can create index?
              You can create an index on any column. Using your knowledge of your data and the queries and applications would help you to choose the right column.
              In Oracle whether we should not use Clustered Index?
              In Oracle there is no clustered index. So no.