This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 3:47 AM by 927019 RSS

help with reboot error for solaris 10

927019 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

we have a sun sparc solaris 10 machine and recently there was a power failure and one of the server domain was down. So today morning i have powered up the domain and it returned me to ok prompt then i have booted the machine with disk from devalias, the system was up as normal and no error messages in message file. All the mount points we available as it was in vfstab. To be on safer side i have rebooted the machine and it never came back up and from xscf console i had a look and the system got repeating these messages as below
Feb  7 12:58:08 svc.startd[7]: svc:/system/sysevent:default: Method or service exit timed out.  Killing contract 19.
Feb  7 12:58:08 svc.startd[7]: svc:/system/cryptosvc:default: Method or service exit timed out.  Killing contract 22.
Feb  7 12:58:08 svc.startd[7]: svc:/system/coreadm:default: Method or service exit timed out.  Killing contract 23.
Feb  7 12:58:08 svc.startd[7]: svc:/system/power:default: Method or service exit timed out.  Killing contract 24.
Then i have powered the whole domain down. Not able to understand what the issue was and any help will be great.

Thanks,
p
  • 1. Re: help with reboot error for solaris 10
    989847 Newbie
    did you do svcs -xv to see what services have not started. Also you can take a look the log file for each one of these services and, find out why they did not start
  • 2. Re: help with reboot error for solaris 10
    927019 Newbie
    Hi,

The system doesnt load up to check the svcs -vx command when rebooted. I am able to bring server up when only i did a shutdown instead of reboot. when the system was up i had a look at the services which are timed out when rebooted and all the services were fine and in online state and no error in svcs -vx.

I believe it could be something of getting time out and thought of increasing the timeout for start and stop but any ways got my issue sorted by solaris itself.

seen similar cases in google so below link could be helpful

http://www.runningunix.com/2009/01/changing-timeouts-on-smf-services/

Thanks,
    P

Edited by: 924016 on 08-Feb-2013 03:45
  • 3. Re: help with reboot error for solaris 10
    927019 Newbie
    I found the solution which can be helpful if similar thing arises
    http://www.runningunix.com/2009/01/changing-timeouts-on-smf-services/

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points