1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 9:42 AM by Colm Divilly-Oracle RSS

Documnetation to support Weblogic with APEX Listener

I have an interesting dilemma here.... I have a customer using APEX 4.2, the APEX Listener 2.0 who wants to use Web Logic as their app server. However, their support group is requesting some HARD documentation showing the reasoning behind Web Logic versus using Tomcat or JBOSS as App server for the APEX Listener..

Can anyone direct me to a whitepaper or official documentation (other than the APEX Listener documentation showing the Officially supported App Servers) that can be used to explain to these higher ups? Since the environment here is a LARGE Oracle installation, they do not understand the requirements for Oracle PLUS the requirements for APEX needing the APEX Listener..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
      Ruckersville, VA
        • 1. Re: Documnetation to support Weblogic with APEX Listener
          Colm Divilly-Oracle
          Oracle Application Express Listener 2.0 is supported on the following Application Servers only:

- Oracle WebLogic
          - Oracle GlassFish

Listener is a standard JEE application so it should work on other JEE Application Servers, however we only test on the above Application Servers, we don't test on any others, and provide no guarantee that Listener will work on any other application server. If the customer requires support from Oracle then they need to use a supported application server, otherwise support will be on a +'best effort'+ basis. So they have a choice between WebLogic and GlassFish if they want Oracle support.

Having said all that, no two JEE application servers are identical and they all vary significantly in their behaviors:

- They vary in their class loading behaviors, this can impact how the application loads and reloads, and how it can resolve resource files it needs. It can also be the cause of problems between third party library versions used by the Listener, and also provided by the application server.
          - They vary in the implementations they provide for 'plug-gable' parts of the JDK, particularly the XML libraries, also the cryptography libraries.

That's not to mention the variances they have in ease of use, scalability, performance, manageability, and ability to integrate with other Oracle offerings (e.g. Oracle Fusion, Oracle Identity Management).

If you want guidance on why to choose WebLogic over GlassFish, I'd suggest posting in the WebLogic forum.

HTH Regards,