This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 11:58 PM by Helios-GunesEROL RSS

How to find the latest/greatest full install patch of 11Gr2?

cayenne Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Folks,
I just cannot seem to find anything readily in MOS at Oracle...

I understand that these days, the patches they put out are no longer just fixes to pieces of the database, but for some reason, they are now full blown installs.

So, rather than download from OTN and install and then have to patch...I'd rather go to MOS and download the patch and install that as my fresh database install.

My trouble is, I can't find the darned thing looking through the patch area, without knowing the patch number..etc.

What do ya'll do when wanting to find the latest version for a fresh install?

A further question..how are ya'll treating this new patch paradigm where they seem to expect you to do fresh installs just to patch up a level? Do you all have the resources to do a new install and migrate over...or do you migrate in place which the documentation seems to warn your off from doing?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne
  • 1. Re: How to find the latest/greatest full install patch of 11Gr2?
    EdStevens Guru
    cayenne wrote:
    Hi Folks,
    I just cannot seem to find anything readily in MOS at Oracle...

I understand that these days, the patches they put out are no longer just fixes to pieces of the database, but for some reason, they are now full blown installs.

So, rather than download from OTN and install and then have to patch...I'd rather go to MOS and download the patch and install that as my fresh database install.

My trouble is, I can't find the darned thing looking through the patch area, without knowing the patch number..etc.
    I feel your pain and really can't offer any advice on that. Searching for patches has been a continual source of frustration for me.
    What do ya'll do when wanting to find the latest version for a fresh install?

A further question..how are ya'll treating this new patch paradigm where they seem to expect you to do fresh installs just to patch up a level? Do you all have the resources to do a new install and migrate over...or do you migrate in place which the documentation seems to warn your off from doing?
    Once you download the patch/full install and unzip it, look for the 'readme' files. The installer should detect or ask if you are doing a patch and handle the 'upgrade' conversion for you. At least it does when upgrading Grid Infrastructure. I'll find out about databases next week. ;-)

>
    Thanks in advance,

cayenne
  • 2. Re: How to find the latest/greatest full install patch of 11Gr2?
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl see these MOS Docs

Quick Reference to RDBMS Database Patchset Patch Numbers [ID 753736.1]
    Quick Reference To Patch Numbers For Database PSU, SPU(CPU) And Bundle Patches [ID 1454618.1]

There are advantages to an out-of-place upgrade - you can install the software while the instance is up and running, thus limiting your downtime. It also allows for a quick downgrade if that should ever be needed.

Important Changes to Oracle Database Patch Sets Starting With 11.2.0.2 [ID 1189783.1]

HTH
    Srini
  • 3. Re: How to find the latest/greatest full install patch of 11Gr2?
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;

Please also refer:
    Oracle Recommended Patches -- Oracle Database [ID 756671.1]
    NOTE:430449.1 - How to find DB Patches for the Microsoft Windows platforms My Oracle Support

Regard
    Helios

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points