1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 2:33 AM by fac586 RSS

Changing Theme in Apex

I would like to create a new custom that needs to be developed in my application. As a developer i dont have access to either download or upload files from themes folder. Can anyone guide me how that could be implemented in my application.
        • 1. Re: Changing Theme in Apex
          fac586
          >

Welcome to the forum: please read the FAQ and forum sticky threads (if you haven't done so already)), and update your forum profile with a real handle instead of "986931".

When you have a problem you'll get a faster, more effective response by including as much relevant information as possible upfront. This should include:

<li>Full APEX version
          <li>Full DB/version/edition/host OS
          <li>Web server architecture (EPG, OHS or APEX listener/host OS)
          <li>Browser(s) and version(s) used
          <li>Theme
          <li>Template(s)
          <li>Region/item type(s) (making particular distinction as to whether a "report" is a standard report, an interactive report, or in fact an "updateable report" (i.e. a tabular form)

With APEX we're also fortunate to have a great resource in apex.oracle.com where we can reproduce and share problems. Reproducing things there is the best way to troubleshoot most issues, especially those relating to layout and visual formatting. If you expect a detailed answer then it's appropriate for you to take on a significant part of the effort by getting as far as possible with an example of the problem on apex.oracle.com before asking for assistance with specific issues, which we can then see at first hand.
          I would like to create a new custom that needs to be developed in my application.
          Can we be clear on what you are asking for? A complete custom theme is a major undertaking. Customizing or overriding aspects of theme look and feel is relatively straightforward. Creating or customizing component templates within a theme is also pretty simple.
          As a developer i dont have access to either download or upload files from themes folder.
          Why not?

You can always download theme resources through the browser. When running an application, view the page source in the browser. The page <tt>head</tt> element will contain a link to the theme style sheet like this:
          <link rel="stylesheet" href="/i/themes/theme_25/css/4_2.css?v=4.2.1.00.08" type="text/css" />
          Add the server to the URL in the style sheet URL and type it into the browser address bar:
          http://apex.oracle.com/i/themes/theme_25/css/4_2.css?v=4.2.1.00.08
          The browser will download the theme CSS.

To identify and access other resources like images referenced in CSS, use the web inspector in decent web browsers with real developer tools like Firefox+Firebug, Safari or Chrome.
          Can anyone guide me how that could be implemented in my application.
          Developing a complete theme requires a good knowledge of HTML and CSS (and increasingly of JavaScript and a JS framework like jQuery). It's beyond the scope of this forum to provide information on the basics of HTML and CSS, and/or web and UI design in general.

The documentation contains information on managing and customizing themes and templates. Also see this Cloning your Corporate UI with HTML DB blog post (HTML DB was the former name of APEX).

The web server file system is the best location for theme files. If you really can't get proper access to this (as on hosted environments like apex.oracle.com for example), then the APEX repository can be used as the location for the required theme CSS, image (ignore the #IMAGE_PREFIX# stuff there&mdash;it's in the wrong place; repository images are accessed using #WORKSPACE_IMAGES#) and script resources.